Biology - Different Stages of Mitosis

  • Thread starter Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Biology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
MadmanMurray
Messages
76
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I'm studying for a biology test at the moment and I'm reading about the M Phase of the cell cycle but I can't really grasp where the boundaries between each phase lies.

I'm reading my notes as well as wikipedia but neither make it clear which stage each process occurs in. For example my notes under the Metaphase heading say "The microtubules have now formed mature spindle fibres that attach to chromosomes via the kinetichore.

Did the spindle fibres occur in the prophase or do they occur in the metaphase. Also what I'm not sure about is whether cytokinesis is part of mitosis or is a separate process. My notes make the distinction between karyokinesis (nuclear division) and cytokinesis (cell division) but they list cytokinesis as one of the stages of mitosis. Wikipedia on the other hand defines cytokinesis as a process that occurs directly after mitosis. Which is it? Is cytokinesis a part of mitosis? If not then would karyokinesis basically encompass all of mitosis?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
MadmanMurray said:

Homework Statement


I'm studying for a biology test at the moment and I'm reading about the M Phase of the cell cycle but I can't really grasp where the boundaries between each phase lies.

I'm reading my notes as well as wikipedia but neither make it clear which stage each process occurs in. For example my notes under the Metaphase heading say "The microtubules have now formed mature spindle fibres that attach to chromosomes via the kinetichore.
Try looking at additional references, besides class notes and wiki.
This http://www.biology.arizona.edu/Cell_bio/tutorials/cell_cycle/cells3.html describes microtubule attachement at the kinetichore, occurs during prometaphase.

Did the spindle fibres occur in the prophase or do they occur in the metaphase.
Spindle fibers form during prophase (see last reference)

Also what I'm not sure about is whether cytokinesis is part of mitosis or is a separate process. My notes make the distinction between karyokinesis (nuclear division) and cytokinesis (cell division) but they list cytokinesis as one of the stages of mitosis. Wikipedia on the other hand defines cytokinesis as a process that occurs directly after mitosis. Which is it?
It sounds like they are playing with semantics. Cytokinesis, does follow mitotic division of the organelles & nucleus. It is where the cell pinches off, making two separate daughter cells. It is often considered part of the mitotic process. (see last reference).
 
Last edited by a moderator: