1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biology - Diffusion/Osmosis of 2 Solutions

1. Oct 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have two solutions - Solution A = 0.5 M NaCl and 0.5 M KCl Solution B= 1.0 M NaCl

If Solution A and B are seperated by
    a) a membrane permeable to all three ions what will happen?
    and
    b) a membrane that ions can not pass through but that water can, what will happen?

2. Relevant equations

-------------------------------

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm pretty sure Part A is talking about passive transport/diffusion of two solutes. I know that 2 different solutions will end up traveling through the membrane until they reach equilibrium.

I'm also certain that Part B is talking about passive transport/osmosis, in which case the water would diffuse from the solution with less concentrated solution to the solution with more concentrated solution.

What I don't understand is how to use the moles of the given solutions to help me figure out what the right answer is. We had a question like this on a quiz that I got wrong and then also it is now on my homework, and he has yet to mention anything like this in class, so I don't know how to apply the knowledge of diffusion/osmosis to this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Part A. On one side of the membrane you have a mix of .5M NaCl and .5M KCl. That solution is actually .5M Na+, .5M K+ and 1.0M Cl-.

On the other side of the membrane you have 1.0M NaCl which is actually 1.0M Na+ and 1.0M Cl-. So, one side is relatively rich in Na+ one side is relatively rich in K+ and both sides are equi-osmotic with respect to Cl-. The membrane can freely pass Na+, K+, Cl- and water.

Can you take it from there?

Part B. Yep.

4. Oct 2, 2009 #3

Ok. I was able to figure out Part A while I was waiting for a reply. It was actually a multiple choice question with instructions to choose the correct answer or answers.

So the choices for Part A were: (my answers are bolded)
    A. K+ will diffuse from A to B
    B. Na+ will diffuse from A to B
    C. Na+ will diffuse from B to A
    D. Cl- will diffuse from B to A
    E. Cl- will diffuse from A to B
    F. Cl- will not diffuse.

For Part B the choices are:
    A. Water will move from A to B
    B. Water will move from B to A
    C. Water will not move in either direction.

So- Both solutions are 2.0M total concentration. But Solution A has 2 different pieces in its solution whereas Solution A is only NaCl....

How do I figure out which side is more concentrated? Would water be moving to both sides to account for the lack of K in Solution B and the lack of Na in Solution A?

5. Oct 2, 2009 #4
    Ok- or would water not be moving at all? Since a mol isn't really a number it would be the same thing as saying "a dozen" of something. So- if I have apples(Na), oranges(Cl) and pears(K) I could say...

Solution A- has 1/2 dozen apples, 1/2 dozen pears and a dozen of Cl.

Solution B - has 1 dozen apples and 1 dozen oranges

Both of those solutions equal out to 2 dozen... or 2.0M.... so they are concentrated the same?

I don't know... this just confuses me because in class we only talked about ONE type of solute of different concentration- not more than one. =/

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    Here's a tip for these sorts of problems: Draw it out. It helped me get the idea when I was learning it.

Just draw both sides in the initial phase with their concentrations. Then take a look at what can move through the membrane. Once that is established, just see which side has a lower concentration of that particular substance and that's the direction it will move.

Not sure if that helps for this situation though. Like you my lessons only entailed two substances, a miscellaneous solute and water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook