Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Biology/other database in PF library

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

see title

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2
    Re: bio/other database in PF library

I think we really do need this.

4. Jul 16, 2011 #3

Will you be contributing to it? :smile:

5. Jul 17, 2011 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

yes!

6. Jul 17, 2011 #5

Pythagorean

Gold Member

idea: we can use this thread to submit content too and not add the database until we have sufficient content to make it worth the effort.

7. Aug 15, 2011 #6

Anyone else interested in adding Biology to the library? Anyone else else want to contribute?

8. Aug 15, 2011 #7

I have strong doubts about whether there is any point in saying this, but all I can say is that where it requires legwork, I am willing to contribute with legwork. Where it requires expertise I don't have, there is obviously nothing I can do about that. I'm not sure what you have in mind, Pythagorean but I'm supposing that what you are trying to do is to provide a reference to field some of the more regular and common misconceptions. Perhaps the first thing is just to identify as comprehensive as possible a list of terms and concepts requiring definition and explanation in the library. That might act as a trigger for those with the relevant expertise to contibute over time until all of the items in the list have been defined and explained in a scientifically robust manner. Or is all that is required is a list of references to Wiki?! I don't know.

9. Aug 15, 2011 #8

Could someone explain where/what is this library please?

10. Aug 15, 2011 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Thank you for throwing yourself on that grenade.

Word to Pythagorean: if you think a description of something is self-explanatory, it probably isn't.

11. Aug 15, 2011 #10
    You can always trust the special forces, Dave.

:wink:

12. Aug 15, 2011 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I always thought you were kinda Special.

:biggrin:

13. Aug 15, 2011 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The Library can be found by linking on the Green "library' link at the top of every page.

https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php

14. Aug 15, 2011 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm not the most expert tease either, but I think each definition should really be a community effort anyway. Especially the core definitions.

My (our!) first contributions should be a description of abiogenesis and a small discussion on the meaning of life.

We already have threads with expert responses in them on these subjects, it only a matter of synthesis.

15. Aug 15, 2011 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Doh! by meaning I mean definition.

16. Aug 15, 2011 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a great idea. Lots of themes in the bio forums come up over and over again, from what I've seen.

17. Aug 15, 2011 #16
    We would also need a basic introduction to evolution and genetics (one of the most recurring themes in the Biology Forums).

18. Aug 16, 2011 #17

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like a good idea! What kind of things to people think we should put together? What comes up the most often? Evolution is a fairly good one.

EDIT: Other ideas I've thought of;
    Central Dogma of Biology
    Abiogenesis
    Immunology
    Genetic Modification

Also I've been looking through current library pieces and they seem to be quite short and sweet. Perhaps it's just that my academic background has always had a different emphasis (comprehensive but concise) but I think it may be hard to pin down a lot of the common biology topics in a short entry. Whilst in the rest of the forum people may have specific questions most of the time in biology people ask very vague questions often spanning multiple fields e.g. why did love evolve.

However my academic taste-buds have been thoroughly tantalised now so if anyone has any suggestions/advise I'd been keen to put together some libraries entries when I have the time.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  19. Aug 17, 2011 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Idea: Start with an FAQ. Define the terms as needed in the FAQ.

you can use google to quickly search physicsforums on keywords:

Abiogenesis/Evolution and the second law is a popular one:
    Code (Text):
    ~abiogenesis ~evolution +second +law site:physicsforums.com
    the + signs mean the word MUST be there, the ~ means any "approximation" to the word,
    "site:physicsforums.com" refrains the search to physicsforums.com :)

20. Aug 17, 2011 #19
    Indeed, we are not trying to reinvent wiki. This is simply a quick reference for PF members to use who find a term they aren't familiar with and want to learn more without having to leave PF.

21. Aug 17, 2011 #20
    A side question here:-

Is it possible to see all the contents of PF library? Whenever i visit PF library, it only shows the top viewed, recent additions and top contributors. If it could have been possible to see all the contents of PF library.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook