Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Biomolecules which can be optically aligned

Tags:
  1. Nov 11, 2015 #1
    So, I am required to find an example of biomolecules which can be aligned using laser. I guess one requirement of that is that the molecules must have non-zero permanent dipole moment. But I don't know where I can find a list of biomolecules along with their dipole moment. Can someone help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Nov 16, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Apart from completely symmetric molecules, which will be quite rare, any biological molecule will have a permanent dipole moment.

I don't know what you would count as a biological molecule, but you can have a look at http://journals.aps.org/rmp/abstract/10.1103/RevModPhys.75.543

5. Nov 19, 2015 #4
    After reading some materials on molecular alignment, it seems that I was a bit mistaken about the alignability of molecules. Previously I thought that only molecules with non-zero permanent dipole moment can be aligned, but apparently aligning is related to coupling between several rotational states of the molecule.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook