Biophysics and the medical field

In summary, Choppy and In summary, Choppy both advise that if you love physics and want to pursue a medical career, major in physics in undergraduate school. Choppy also advises that getting a great GPA is the most important criterion for med school acceptance. If you love physics but want to pursue a different career, then pursue a PhD in medical physics and work alongside Radiation Oncologists.
claytonh4
Hi everyone,
I'm a junior in high school right now and trying to decide my career path at this point... I'm going to go to Texas A&M University and want to be a surgeon obviously after college and med-school. But I've began to take a VERY serious interest in physics and spend all my time watching lectures online and reading up on theoretical physics. I have a 100 semester avg. in AP Physics right now so I definitely understand all the lower level aspects of it but I've come to a point where I can't decide whether to pursue medicine or physics. I got a biophysics book recently and it seems right up my alley as far as interests are concerned, but can someone who knows more than me tell me what possibilities there are to combine these fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
The good news is that you don't really have to decide on either path too quickly. You could pursue an undergraduate degree in physics and then so long as you get all the necessary prerequisite courses, you can apply to medical school.

There is a lot of overlap between the two. Fields you may want to look into:
From a physics background...
- medical physics
- biophysics
- biomedical engineering
- neuroscience

From a medicine background...
- radiation oncology
- radiology
- nuclear medicine
- aerospace medicine

claytonh4 said:
Hi everyone,
I'm a junior in high school right now and trying to decide my career path at this point... I'm going to go to Texas A&M University and want to be a surgeon obviously after college and med-school. But I've began to take a VERY serious interest in physics and spend all my time watching lectures online and reading up on theoretical physics. I have a 100 semester avg. in AP Physics right now so I definitely understand all the lower level aspects of it but I've come to a point where I can't decide whether to pursue medicine or physics. I got a biophysics book recently and it seems right up my alley as far as interests are concerned, but can someone who knows more than me tell me what possibilities there are to combine these fields?

Choppy's advice above is great, so I will second all of that. Specifically, if you love physics, DEFINITELY major in it in undergrad. The most important criteria for med school acceptance is your GPA. If you are doing something that you love and excel at you are more likely to get that great GPA. Like Choppy said, there are relatively few pre-reqs you need to do so that wouldn't be a problem.

As to which to pursue I was in a similar situation when I was back in high school. I couldn't decide which field to pursue, but unfortunately back then there was no internet :-)

My advice, if you want to be more physics oriented but still want a little medicine, I'd advise getting your PhD in medical physics and working alongside Radiation Oncologists. If you find you'd prefer to make clinical decisions and see patients, then I'd recommend medical school and then going into Radiation Oncology.

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for all the info! Sounds like some cool fields to look into!

Thanks! I'm just really glad I can get a little of both either way

1. What is biophysics and how does it relate to the medical field?

Biophysics is a branch of science that combines principles and methods from physics, biology, and chemistry to study the physical aspects of biological systems. It focuses on understanding the structure, function, and behavior of living organisms at a molecular and cellular level. In the medical field, biophysics plays an important role in areas such as drug discovery, medical imaging, and understanding the underlying mechanisms of diseases.

2. How does biophysics contribute to drug discovery and development?

Biophysics plays a crucial role in drug discovery and development by providing insights into the interactions between drugs and their targets in the body. This includes understanding the structural and dynamic properties of proteins and other biomolecules that are targeted by drugs, as well as how drugs interact with these molecules. Biophysical techniques such as X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, and computational modeling are often used to study these interactions and aid in the design and development of new drugs.

3. Can biophysics help in understanding and treating diseases?

Yes, biophysics can contribute to understanding and treating diseases by providing insights into the underlying mechanisms and processes involved in various diseases. For example, biophysical techniques can be used to study the structure and function of proteins involved in diseases, as well as the interactions between these proteins and potential therapeutic molecules. This information can then be used to develop more effective treatments and therapies for these diseases.

4. What are some common biophysical techniques used in the medical field?

Some common biophysical techniques used in the medical field include X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy, and computational modeling. X-ray crystallography is used to determine the 3D structure of molecules, while NMR spectroscopy can provide information about the structure and dynamics of molecules in solution. Fluorescence spectroscopy is often used to study protein-protein interactions and molecular dynamics. Computational modeling is used to simulate and predict the behavior of biological systems.

5. How is biophysics being applied in medical imaging?

Biophysics is being increasingly applied in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, PET, and SPECT. These techniques use physical principles to produce images of the body's internal structures and functions, which can aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Biophysics also plays a role in developing new imaging agents and contrast agents that can improve the sensitivity and specificity of these imaging techniques.