Bird ID, please (seen at at the Sweetwater Wetlands in Tucson)

• Thread starter dinjoh1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bird
In summary: There are fourteen recognized subspecies of the song sparrow, each with its own distinctive song, plumage, and habitat preferences.
dinjoh1
Last week we saw this bird at the Sweetwater Wetlands in Tucson along the bank of a pond. The rigid upright position of the tail and the thickness at the base of the tail seemed to me to be the two most unusual features. Does anyone know what kind of bird it is? Thank you.

IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1479.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1481.jpg
    IMG_1481.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,180
  • IMG_1479.jpg
    IMG_1479.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,030
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,084
Biology news on Phys.org
Swamp_Sparrow_m50-7-047_l_1.jpg

This is a swamp sparrow. Notice the identical markings that match the OP's pictures. Definitely, got to dig out my bird book.

http://cdn.audubon.org/cdn/farfuture/YTrTz7zhXK4JbkjOAVmA2hNuhjJhpvVRqb0TNNFGgpI/mtime:1422549770/sites/default/files/Swamp_Sparrow_m50-7-047_l_1.jpg

http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/swamp-sparrow

Attachments

• Swamp_Sparrow_m50-7-047_l_1.jpg
    Swamp_Sparrow_m50-7-047_l_1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 914
Last edited:
Likes phinds, Astronuc, Drakkith and 2 others
Hermit Thrush, catharus guttatus, I believe.

Based on tail and wing posture, probably a Wren of some sort.

Tom.G said:
Based on tail and wing posture, probably a Wren of some sort.
Did you see the picture I posted? While the wren has similar features, look at the wings. The sparrow I posted is identical. Please post the picture of your wren.

Bird watching and feather collecting was a hobby/passion of mine when I was younger. This is a sparrow.

Last edited:
blob.png

from: National Geographic Birds of North America, 2nd ed. pg. 514
I agree that the beak on the Swamp Sparrow is a better match.

Attachments

• blob.png
    blob.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,618
Tom.G said:
View attachment 217949

from: National Geographic Birds of North America, 2nd ed. pg. 514
I agree that the beak on the Swamp Sparrow is a better match.
Hmm, I agree your pictures do also look more similar than the wren photos I've seen. It's a Wrenrow or a Sparwren. :biggrin:

Likes Astronuc
Thread re-opened after some cleanup of insults and replies. Let's be polite please folks. Thanks.

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary
Ide
Evo said:
Did you see the picture I posted? While the wren has similar features, look at the wings. The sparrow I posted is identical. Please post the picture of your wren.

Bird watching and feather collecting was a hobby/passion of mine when I was younger. This is a sparrow.
Identical?

Likes Evo
@Markie Obrien The wing tips and tops have the darker shading of the OP's bird, which the others do not. Also the stiffly upright tail with all of the fluff at the base, also without all of the banding on the wren's wings.

Do you have a better match of the body and wings? Always open to better matches. :smile:

Likes Astronuc
The overall plumage pattern is Song Sparrow.
Song Sparrow has multiple subspecies with size variation and plumage color variation etc...
This bird is probably the Arizona subspecies, Melospiza melodia fallax.
(Red-tailed Hawk subspecies show even greater variations.)
Tail position is incidental in this case. .

sosp184534611.jpg

.lots of variation here:
https://ebird.org/media/catalog?taxonCode=sonspa&sort=rating_rank_desc&mediaType=p&regionCode=
P.S. the Wiki says: The song sparrow is one of the most polytypic bird species in North America.

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to identify birds at the Sweetwater Wetlands in Tucson?

The best way to identify birds at the Sweetwater Wetlands is to bring a field guide or use a birding app on your phone. These resources can help you match the bird's physical characteristics, behavior, and habitat to the species in the area.

2. How can I tell the difference between similar-looking bird species at the Sweetwater Wetlands?

One way to tell the difference between similar-looking bird species is to look for subtle differences in their physical characteristics, such as size, color, and shape. Paying attention to their behavior and habitat can also help differentiate between species.

3. Are there any specific bird calls or songs I should listen for at the Sweetwater Wetlands?

Yes, there are several bird calls and songs that are unique to certain species at the Sweetwater Wetlands. It would be helpful to familiarize yourself with these sounds by listening to recordings or going on a guided birding tour.

4. What types of birds can I expect to see at the Sweetwater Wetlands in Tucson?

The Sweetwater Wetlands is home to a variety of bird species, including waterfowl, shorebirds, raptors, and songbirds. Some common birds you may see include herons, egrets, ducks, and warblers.

5. Can I use my camera to help with bird identification at the Sweetwater Wetlands?

Yes, taking photos of birds at the Sweetwater Wetlands can be a helpful tool for identification. Make sure to get clear and detailed shots of the bird's physical features and behavior, and refer to your field guide or birding app for assistance.