Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Friday Computer Deals Post here

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1

rhody

Gold Member

As Black Friday is fast approaching, I thought it might be helpful to share your potential computer related purchases here, so that others may benefit from store and online purchases.

There are people I work with who get up at the crack of dawn to get a good position in line at your favorite Tech Store (corrected from Best Buy, that set Peng off !!!), etc... You may want to post your "buy wish lists" here too, so that if others find deals before you do, they can share them.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Black Friday Deals... Post here...

If anyone wants to buy me a new computer, feel free :)

Also, F best buy, that place is the biggest rip off since CompUSA. I almost wanted to go torch the CompUSA building when it finally went out of business.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3

rhody

Gold Member

Peng,

Thanks for venting, I feel so much better now... NOT... :tongue: Seriously, is there anything you want (don't need) but might buy if the deal was good enough on Black Friday ?

Rhody...

5. Nov 3, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If Best Buy were a star, I would hope it goes supernova and lives out the rest of its life as a black hole that no one would ever see again. Ever.

6. Nov 3, 2011 #5

rhody

Gold Member

OK, take a deep breath, vent (tell us why BB should be reduced to a black hole), then address my question in my last post...

Rhody...

7. Nov 3, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Their crap is ridiculously overpriced. They try to con people into spending stupid amounts of money on stuff they don't need or is not worth it. For example, the Monster cables they sell. A quick look at their website shows that they sell an 8' HDMI cable for $130. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS. And is there absolutely any difference between that cable and the cables I got for $5 off newegg last year? No. Every site I've seen that has compared them shows 0 difference (along with the technical reason why there's no reason to expect a difference in the first place!).

Plus their sales people, at least where I go to, are awful. They just stand there going "uhh derp derp, this tv good, you buy now?". I went to buy my father an LCD TV for Father's day and this a-hole just stood there as if he didn't even want to be there. I hear people get such behavior in most Best Buy stores.

And don't get me started on Geek Squad.

8. Nov 3, 2011 #7

rhody

Gold Member

Peng,

Does this work for you then, and is there anything you need on your wish list ?

Rhody...

9. Nov 3, 2011 #8

rhody

Gold Member

Since Peng basically laid waste to this thread, does anyone (other than Peng) have a wish list they would like to share. How about stories of strategies you use when making your break for it when the doors fly open and the thundering heards rush for the goodies.

From past experience with online adds/promotions and such, if the offer looks really good, make sure you take a screen grab of it and save it as a graphic file. It is not uncommon for companies management and sales departments to become disconnected, sometimes in your favor. I saved over $ 175.00 on the purchase of a desktop a long time ago. I never would have been able to prove the promotion that was "too good to be true" had I not taken the minute it took to grab and save the graphic file. This proved my point with sales, who had to sell me the PC I was looking for for $ 175.00 less. The promotion I took advantage was up for less than fifteen minutes, and saving the URL would have done me no good. A screen grab is the only sure way to prove it. There, rant over. I feel better now.

Rhody...

10. Nov 6, 2011 #9

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Newegg!

11. Nov 6, 2011 #10

rhody

Gold Member

Funny, smarty pants... you guys are a hoot. I will do some searching and try to be productive here. Peng, you coward, get in here and do some good for the PF peanut gallery will you ?

Rhody...

No good deed goes unpunished...

12. Nov 6, 2011 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Gee Peng, I was surprised you didn't bring up the Geek Squad. I have to assume that you have not had the pleasure of dealing with that staggeringly moronic crew, else your post would not have been so tame in your condemnation of the store.

EDIT: OOPS ... I missed your last sentence. I see you HAVE had the pleasure.

13. Nov 7, 2011 #12

rhody

Gold Member

Sigh... Here is the Official Black Friday Ads http://www.2011blackfridayads.com/" [Broken].

I say we close this thread from lack of due diligence, follow through... Please, put it out of its misery before Peng shows up to rant again...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  14. Nov 8, 2011 #13

rhody

Gold Member

15. Nov 8, 2011 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Actually I never have but everything I read about them makes me want to punch them.

IM BACK RAWR!!!

16. Nov 8, 2011 #15

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

17. Nov 21, 2011 #16

rhody

Gold Member

I don't know if this qualifies but I got out of bed at 4 am on Saturday morning, drove over 120 miles to the annual http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...z76UX&usg=AFQjCNEGZPnDAZuASWWua-11PXIrdZjOAw" skis and bindings for $ 400. They normally sell for about $800, so I still got a good deal. Brand new too, when we left the store at 8:20 am. There were about 1000 people outside waiting to get in. They let in a limited amount to conform to fire codes. If I had been 50th in that line I would not have gotten them, the guy behind me overheard the salesman's comments and grabbed the two remaining pair. This early bird got the worm, or just barely this time.

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  18. Nov 21, 2011 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Already got my tech-stuff for this year. A Dell Studio XPS 9100 with 12 GB RAM and i7 processor. Plus a 23" HD monitor. I had to replace that crappy Dell keyboard with a Unicomp, so that was a bit of extra expense, but well worth it.

19. Nov 21, 2011 #18

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Hard drives are expensive now...

20. Nov 21, 2011 #19

turbo

Gold Member

A few years ago, I couldn't have imagined ordering a new computer with an affordable 1Tb hard drive. HD capacity is dirt cheap.

21. Nov 22, 2011 #20
    there was a flood in Thailand that damaged the factories that produce hard drives. that's why the prices have gone through the roof. we will have to wait a few months for someone else to pick up the slack and bring the prices back down.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20111018PD214.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook