Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Man dies in Black Friday shopping stampede.

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-limart1129,0,167903.story

What is wrong with people? It's only stuff.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The mentality of these people that are so greedy that they build themselves up into this kind of frenzy is just mind boggling. The stores are as much to blame for all of the hype "opening at 4am", "early bird specials 4am-6am only, supplies are limited so hurry in!".

I do NOT shop on Black Friday.

4. Nov 28, 2008 #3
    But also cheap stuff ;)

Everything's great when it's cheap...

5. Nov 28, 2008 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Confused -
    It's the busiest shopping day of the year, it's the start of the bargains, that's good isn't it - why black friday?
    I thought you couldn't call a person black in the US because of it's negative connotations.
    Wouldn't it be better to call the people black and the day 'green friday' ?

6. Nov 28, 2008 #5

Evo

It's called "black" because it is the day that financially, retailers hope to get out of the "red' and into the "black". They are accounting terms.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  7. Nov 28, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good grief! What possesses these people?

There are a couple of outlet malls in this area (within a couple hours drive) that were advertising they opened at MIDNIGHT! Why?! Are there vampires in need of Christmas presents who can't wait until morning to start their shopping?

8. Nov 28, 2008 #7

jtbell

On Wednesday afternoon, I happened to visit Best Buy. A couple of people had already set up tents for camping out so they could be first in line today. Last night a local TV station interviewed one of them.

9. Nov 28, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Even more reason to avoid stores early on black Friday. After two days of camping out on a sidewalk, I bet those people didn't smell all that pretty as they headed into the store. :yuck:

10. Nov 28, 2008 #9

jtbell

At least they didn't have to worry about being crushed to death by other people... nobody would want to get close enough to them to do that! :rofl:

11. Nov 28, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting, I was thinking of black-wednesday/black-friday for a stock market crash.

12. Nov 28, 2008 #11

Evo

Are peoples lives so pathetic and empty that living in a tent in a store parking lot for two days something to be proud of?

I was listening to the radio yesterday about "easy to get loans" to buy those Christmas gifts, and it was followed by a commercial to get your wife or girlfriend breast augmentation for Christmas. Husband: "I got my wife breast augmentation last year and she looks better now than she did 15 years ago, I'm so proud of her now when we go out". :uhh:

13. Nov 28, 2008 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sometimes it's just the right time for a civilisation to collapse - no point fighting it!

14. Nov 28, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Not to get too far off topic, but maybe better that than trading in for a 15 years younger wife? Apparently he has his priorities in a relationship.

As for standing in line, I must confess that a few months ago I stood in line for 20 minutes at a store opening to get a free 30 gal. trash can.

The crowd was quite agreeable and good-natured drinking their Starbucks double lattes. No real thoughts of mayhem.

15. Nov 28, 2008 #14

Astronuc

That's a main reason I do not listen to commercial radio or watch much TV. The commercials are just too stupid - as in the example cited.

It's particularly sad to see people act in such a way that someone is hurt, injured or killed. :frown:

16. Nov 28, 2008 #15
    i love the holidays. these "people" are a part of why everyone looks at americans as degenerates. its supposed to be a happy time for your family but everyone is so ornery. i think its quite pathetic. i dont buy anything for anyone and i dont expect anyone to get anything for me. call me selfish if you like, there just is more to the holidays than material possessions. and, any material possessions i want, i go and buy. i dont like gifts, they make me feel like the giver feels sorry for me and needs to buy stuff for me. save your money and pay your mortgage. the amount of foreclosures is embarrassing as well. i might as well move back to sicily.

17. Nov 28, 2008 #16
    Hmm, I thought Wal-Mart was open 24 hours a day. What's with the line?

In any case, this is why I'm not leaving the damn house until tomorrow.

18. Nov 28, 2008 #17
    Early morning on Black Friday, It looks like a good place for a coffee and donut vendor.:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  19. Nov 28, 2008 #18

Evo

Like restoring an old car, just get the parts replaced.

Oh Lowly, how low can you go? :eek:

Until the caffeine kicks in...

20. Nov 28, 2008 #19
    When's the last time you heard Walmart or Best Buy or any other trinket store report quarterly losses for 3 quarters and then spike up the 4th quarter, only to repeat it all next year?

21. Nov 28, 2008 #20

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If all you're buying the car for is the headlights ... I suppose so. And I guess if you've already put in lots of miles on the car and the maintenance is under control, maybe replacing the head lamps is OK, but if the headlights are only a symptom of bigger repair bills to come ...well let's not carry the metaphor too far.
    Wait a minute. The day before it was only for a bucket and a sponge. I do have my standards after all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?