Man dies in Black Friday shopping stampede.

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary: Breast augmentation? :shrug:Not to get too far off topic, but maybe better that than trading in for a 15 years... 15 years of what? Breast augmentation? :shrug:
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Wal-Mart worker dies in Black Friday stampede

BY JOSEPH MALLIA | joseph.mallia@newsday.com
11:06 AM EST, November 28, 2008

A 34-year-old Wal-Mart worker died Friday morning after "a throng of shoppers... physically broke down the doors" and knocked him to the ground as the crowd pushed its way into the store at a Valley Stream mall, Nassau police said.

The man was knocked down at 5:03 a.m. at the Green Acres Mall store, and was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m.

As of Friday morning the cause of death was described as "undetermined", police said. An exact cause of death will be determined by the county medical examiner's office, police said. The man's name was not immediately made public by the police, and the store was closed.

A spokeswoman for Wal-Mart, in Bentonville, Ark., said she was unable to comment immediately, and said the company was seeking details on the incident.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-limart1129,0,167903.story

What is wrong with people? It's only stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mentality of these people that are so greedy that they build themselves up into this kind of frenzy is just mind boggling. The stores are as much to blame for all of the hype "opening at 4am", "early bird specials 4am-6am only, supplies are limited so hurry in!".

I do NOT shop on Black Friday.

LowlyPion said:
What is wrong with people? It's only stuff.
But also cheap stuff ;)

Everything's great when it's cheap...

Confused -
It's the busiest shopping day of the year, it's the start of the bargains, that's good isn't it - why black friday?
I thought you couldn't call a person black in the US because of it's negative connotations.
Wouldn't it be better to call the people black and the day 'green friday' ?

It's called "black" because it is the day that financially, retailers hope to get out of the "red' and into the "black". They are accounting terms.

Last edited:
Good grief! What possesses these people?

There are a couple of outlet malls in this area (within a couple hours drive) that were advertising they opened at MIDNIGHT! Why?! Are there vampires in need of Christmas presents who can't wait until morning to start their shopping?

On Wednesday afternoon, I happened to visit Best Buy. A couple of people had already set up tents for camping out so they could be first in line today. Last night a local TV station interviewed one of them.

jtbell said:
On Wednesday afternoon, I happened to visit Best Buy. A couple of people had already set up tents for camping out so they could be first in line today. Last night a local TV station interviewed one of them.

Even more reason to avoid stores early on black Friday. After two days of camping out on a sidewalk, I bet those people didn't smell all that pretty as they headed into the store. :yuck:

Moonbear said:
After two days of camping out on a sidewalk, I bet those people didn't smell all that pretty as they headed into the store. :yuck:

At least they didn't have to worry about being crushed to death by other people... nobody would want to get close enough to them to do that! :rofl:

Evo said:
It's called "black" because it is the day that financially, retailers hope to get out of the "red' and into the "black". They are accounting terms.

Interesting, I was thinking of black-wednesday/black-friday for a stock market crash.

Are peoples lives so pathetic and empty that living in a tent in a store parking lot for two days something to be proud of?

I was listening to the radio yesterday about "easy to get loans" to buy those Christmas gifts, and it was followed by a commercial to get your wife or girlfriend breast augmentation for Christmas. Husband: "I got my wife breast augmentation last year and she looks better now than she did 15 years ago, I'm so proud of her now when we go out". :uhh:

Evo said:
"I got my wife breast augmentation last year and she looks better now than she did 15 years ago, I'm so proud of her now when we go out". :uhh:
Sometimes it's just the right time for a civilisation to collapse - no point fighting it!

Evo said:
Are peoples lives so pathetic and empty that living in a tent in a store parking lot for two days something to be proud of?

I was listening to the radio yesterday about "easy to get loans" to buy those Christmas gifts, and it was followed by a commercial to get your wife or girlfriend breast augmentation for Christmas. Husband: "I got my wife breast augmentation last year and she looks better now than she did 15 years ago, I'm so proud of her now when we go out". :uhh:

Not to get too far off topic, but maybe better that than trading in for a 15 years younger wife? Apparently he has his priorities in a relationship.

As for standing in line, I must confess that a few months ago I stood in line for 20 minutes at a store opening to get a free 30 gal. trash can.

The crowd was quite agreeable and good-natured drinking their Starbucks double lattes. No real thoughts of mayhem.

Evo said:
That's a main reason I do not listen to commercial radio or watch much TV. The commercials are just too stupid - as in the example cited.

It's particularly sad to see people act in such a way that someone is hurt, injured or killed. :frown:

i love the holidays. these "people" are a part of why everyone looks at americans as degenerates. its supposed to be a happy time for your family but everyone is so ornery. i think its quite pathetic. i don't buy anything for anyone and i don't expect anyone to get anything for me. call me selfish if you like, there just is more to the holidays than material possessions. and, any material possessions i want, i go and buy. i don't like gifts, they make me feel like the giver feels sorry for me and needs to buy stuff for me. save your money and pay your mortgage. the amount of foreclosures is embarrassing as well. i might as well move back to sicily.

Hmm, I thought Wal-Mart was open 24 hours a day. What's with the line?

In any case, this is why I'm not leaving the damn house until tomorrow.

Early morning on Black Friday, It looks like a good place for a coffee and donut vendor.:tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
LowlyPion said:
Not to get too far off topic, but maybe better that than trading in for a 15 years younger wife? Apparently he has his priorities in a relationship.
Like restoring an old car, just get the parts replaced.

As for standing in line, I must confess that a few months ago I stood in line for 20 minutes at a store opening to get a free 30 gal. trash can.
Oh Lowly, how low can you go? :eek:

The crowd was quite agreeable and good-natured drinking their Starbucks double lattes. No real thoughts of mayhem.
Until the caffeine kicks in...

Evo said:
When's the last time you heard Walmart or Best Buy or any other trinket store report quarterly losses for 3 quarters and then spike up the 4th quarter, only to repeat it all next year?

Evo said:
Like restoring an old car, just get the parts replaced.
If all you're buying the car for is the headlights ... I suppose so. And I guess if you've already put in lots of miles on the car and the maintenance is under control, maybe replacing the head lamps is OK, but if the headlights are only a symptom of bigger repair bills to come ...well let's not carry the metaphor too far.
Oh Lowly, how low can you go? :eek:
Wait a minute. The day before it was only for a bucket and a sponge. I do have my standards after all.

Reports now of 2 being shot in Palm Desert Toys-R-Us.

But not to worry. This is apparently gang related and not about any merchandise understocking.

Shots fired at Toys R Us in Palm Desert; 2 reportedly dead
12:42 PM, November 28, 2008

Shots were fired at a Toys R Us store in Palm Desert, causing shoppers at the busy store to scramble for cover. The Associated Press and KCAL-TV Channel 9 reported that two people were found dead at the shop.

Details about the shooting were still spotty, but witnesses said the scene at the store and nearby businesses was chaotic. The witnesses told TV stations that shoppers were evacuated around 11:30 a.m. and were told a gunman was in the store.

“I’ve got a bunch of people from Toys R Us that ran out of the building,” Jeff Vallaire, a worker at a nearby World Gym, told the Sun newspaper in Palm Springs. “I’m just hearing from what they told me. They ran out the back. They heard gunshots and came in here. ... It’s pretty crazy around here right now."

The Toys R Us is located on 72314 Highway 111 in Palm Desert.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/11/shots-were-fire.html

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:

No,no,... You have it wrong.. Now SHE can trade him in for a 15 yr younger model.

LowlyPion said:

I hope it was an expensive trash can to be worth standing in a line for it. :uhh: Though, this time of year, anyplace one goes, it's going to be a 20 min wait in line just to pay, so that's not too horrible. It's the camping overnight to get the deal part that is bizarre.

Supposedly the big deal at Walmart today is that they were selling some $300 TVs for $300 instead of the usual $600 they charge for them. :rolleyes:

I just got all my Christmas shopping done...on Amazon. Of course most of it was for myself. :uhh: :biggrin: Managed to get in on the $30 block of Henckels knives in the 6 min before they sold out. Even if they are their bottom-of-the-line quality knives, which is what I'm quite sure they are, the block alone costs about $30, so it's like getting the 8 knives for free. And I need a back-up set of knives. Got my nephew's prezzies (he's finally old enough for Legos, so I'm getting him a mess-load of them so he can build anything his little heart desires! :biggrin:)

I try to avoid getting anywhere near malls between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can't always avoid it, but I sure try.

Evo said:
This is apparently a myth. As WP points out it doesn't make much sense business wise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#Accounting_practice

offtheleft said:
i love the holidays. these "people" are a part of why everyone looks at americans as degenerates. its supposed to be a happy time for your family but everyone is so ornery. i think its quite pathetic. i don't buy anything for anyone and i don't expect anyone to get anything for me. call me selfish if you like, there just is more to the holidays than material possessions. and, any material possessions i want, i go and buy. i don't like gifts, they make me feel like the giver feels sorry for me and needs to buy stuff for me. save your money and pay your mortgage. the amount of foreclosures is embarrassing as well. i might as well move back to sicily.
Right. Those american degenerates all going crazy over shopping as opposed to classy europeans who just riot when their team loses at the footies eh?

LowlyPion said:
Reports now of 2 being shot in Palm Desert Toys-R-Us.

But not to worry. This is apparently gang related and not about any merchandise understocking.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2008/11/shots-were-fire.html

Oh and I was thinking about posting this. Apparently the two men were there with their girlfriends who got into an argument which led to the males arguing and eventually pulling guns on each other. Perfect illustration of the need for the sage old saying "Bros before **s".

TheStatutoryApe said:
This is apparently a myth. As WP points out it doesn't make much sense business wise.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#Accounting_practice
No, the terms "red ink" and "black ink" are really used as terms in accounting.

Red Ink

Colloquial term for a deficit or loss; opposite of black ink.

Black Ink

Profit or break-even; opposite of red ink (loss).

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/red-ink.html

And as your wikipedia link states
More recently, merchants and the media have used it instead to refer to the beginning of the period in which retailers are in the black (i.e., turning a profit).

Last edited:
Evo said:
TheStatutoryApe said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#Accounting_practiceNo, the terms "red ink" and "black ink" are really used as terms in accounting.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/red-ink.html

Lol... yes I know. The supposed myth is that the term "Black Friday" is in reference to businesses finally being "in the black" accounting wise. Really any business that operates all year round and only makes a profit one month out of the year is most likely going to fail.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Evo said:
Lol... yes I know. The supposed myth is that the term "Black Friday" is in reference to businesses finally being "in the black" accounting wise. Really any business that operates all year round and only makes a profit one month out of the year is most likely going to fail.
Look up, I hadn't finished my edit. I'm not saying that it is true, just that is how the term has been used in recent years. It's really more of a supposed "indicator". Articles I have read over the past years say that retailers say that business on Black Friday is an indicator of how profitable the month of December will be. The date on which Thanksgiving falls was actually selected in order to ensure a longer holiday shopping season.

The level of consumerism and materialism has gotten way out of hand. I don't ever remember Xmas shopping being this ridiculous. I don't ever remember of having the message of "buy as much as possible" crap shoved down our throat as much in the 80s and early 90s. Now Xmas commercials were on before Halloween.

Remember guys, Jesus died for you and me......to save half off on black friday so we can BUY BUY BUY as much crap as we don't need.

Jesus should be rolling in his grave right now...

In all seriousness though, I finding the holidays to be a disgusting materialistic disgrace to mankind. It's an addiction that can't be broken because companies would go out of business were it not for the big boosts in sales they get at the holidays to take them out of th red. It's pretty disgusting when you think about it.

I have no problems shopping for the holidays. I get a card, write something down on it, and mail it to you. Ta-da. It's that simple. Want to buy me a gift? Sure! Thanks! But I never asked you to buy me one, don't expect me to return the favor. I hate the concept of gift giving. The whole premise is flawed.

Historically, people give gifts not as an act of kindness, but as a symbol of wealth. I have so much wealth I can afford to give away things to you. In turn, you try to one-up-me by returning a bigger better gift. Then the cycle repeats until someone becomes unhappy that they can no longer top the last gift.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)#Accounting_practiceRight. Those american degenerates all going crazy over shopping as opposed to classy europeans who just riot when their team loses at the footies eh?
To say somewhere is 'black' meaning crowded is an old and commonly used Irish expression. I'd hazard a guess this was exported to the US and was then used in reference to the crowds in the shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I do NOT shop on Black Friday.
Same here. The Thanksgiving holiday is my favorite of all holidays precisely because it is so low-key and non-commercial. Just getting together with friends and family to enjoy each other's company and some good food and to be grateful for all of the good things in life. I never go black-Friday shopping because it just doesn't fit with what I like about the holiday. To me a day with my family is much more important than getting a little more "stuff", even without the crowds and danger.

Evo said:
TheStatutoryApe said:
Look up, I hadn't finished my edit. I'm not saying that it is true, just that is how the term has been used in recent years. It's really more of a supposed "indicator". Articles I have read over the past years say that retailers say that business on Black Friday is an indicator of how profitable the month of December will be. The date on which Thanksgiving falls was actually selected in order to ensure a longer holiday shopping season.

But TSA's point is that it is NOT the correct ORIGIN of the term, which is what was asked earlier in the thread. It has more to do with the dark moods of the people who have to deal with the horrendous crowds...the police, store employees, etc.

DaleSpam said:
Same here. The Thanksgiving holiday is my favorite of all holidays precisely because it is so low-key and non-commercial. Just getting together with friends and family to enjoy each other's company and some good food and to be grateful for all of the good things in life. I never go black-Friday shopping because it just doesn't fit with what I like about the holiday. To me a day with my family is much more important than getting a little more "stuff", even without the crowds and danger.

I agree. I think Thanksgiving is more the sharing holiday, and Christmas more the giving/getting holiday. Kids like Christmas more and it's not without its rewards to parents to see their kids happy. But I think the sense of community symbolized by the communal get-together around a table of family and friends, new and old, is a more positive interaction than the what-do-I-get-them, or what-did-I-get of the Solstice Holidays.

I dislike the encroachment that commerce has attempted to make into motivating people onto this gerbil wheel of shopping to make their grab for their wallets, just hours after being so flush from a celebration of community. Free enterprise at its worst, preying on good spirit to gorge like vampires.

And now we have registered a death to go along with that ringing in of the shopping season. Clean-up on Aisle 8.

people seem to die from a lot of stupid $h** now days.