Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black hole/Hawking radiation thought experiment

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone! New poster here.
    I would first of all like to thank you all, since in these threads i have found answers to many of my questions about astrophysics!

I have a little thought experiment for you guys:

Lets say that because of Hawking radiation, the radius of a black hole's event horizon
    is decreasing at the rate of X m/s
    Lets imagine that such black hole is large enough to allow for a hypothetical spaceship
    to cross the event without being spaghettified/destroyed
    Lets also assume that such a spaceship has an abundant amount of fuel and can fire its
    powerful engines for an unlimited amount of time, getting as close to traveling at C as
    physically possible

If the ship were to cross the black hole, would it manage to resist the pull of the black hole
    enough to travel towards the singularity at a rate of only (X-Y)m/s and therefore free itself from its pull? (recall that the black hole is receding at X m/S)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately, there is no escape route. Once inside an evaporating (spherically symmetric) black hole, all (timelike) paths lead to the singularity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook