Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Black Hole's Event Horizon dia. and Internal Mass dia. relationship.

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    Is there a theory about the relationship, a ratio perhaps, for a Black Hole's event horizon dia. and its actual internal mass dia.? It would seem that there must be a physical mass in there somewhere, of some particular size for a given mass. This ratio may vary proportional to the mass of the Black Hole? Apologies if this is well known and I am still clueless about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

As far as I know, the internal mass would have no volume; it is effectively a point for a spherically symmetrical black hole and a line forming a circle for a rotating one.

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

It depends on whether an irreducible density state of matter exists. By current knowledge, the Pauli exclusion principle is the last known force resisting the crush of gravity in a superdense mass. There may, however, be something akin to the exclusion principle going on further down at the quark level. This is purely speculative, but a subject of interest in condensed matter studies. My purely speculative vote goes out to the planck density as maximum possible density of matter. It is unfathomably dense, but yields a finite volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?