Black holes, the sun and wormholes.

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of black holes and their effects on space and time. The speaker asks if black holes are just a part of a theory or if they actually exist as gateways to oblivion. They also inquire about the possibility of our sun becoming a black hole and the existence of wormholes as a potential way to travel through space and time. The conversation also mentions that while there may not be direct evidence of black holes, there are ways to indirectly observe their existence. It is mentioned that wormholes and black holes are both solutions to Einstein's field equations and not just a theoretical concept.
I've been reading Kip Thorne's book "Black Holes and Time Warps" and was wondering about a couple of things. They're really basic questions that have been floating around in my head, but I can't ask any of my friends because none of them know anything about these topics, so...I came here. Please forgive me if these questions seem rudimentary to you educated folk.

Firstly, do black holes really exist or are they just part of a theory that is likely to be true? I've read a lot about black holes and their effects on space and time it's all very fascinating stuff, but I'm wondering if I'm reading about theories or actual existent gateways to oblivion.

Secondly, (this one may seem really stupid and I'm sorry) could our sun potentially become a black hole? I understand that black holes are fromed by a star collapsing on itself, is that the fate of ours? Is our sun considered a star?

Finally, wormholes, a tunnel through space and maybe even time. Do they exist? are they only theoretical? If they are existent then how in the world does one come to the conlucusion that they exist? Was there a physicist who was sitting around one day and thought to himself "man, wormholes would be cool" and developed a theory, or did a physicist stumble onto the exsitence or theoretical exsitence of wormholes.

Just a few questions that have been in the back of my head for awhile and I would appreciate them answered if it's not too much hassle

Astronomy news on Phys.org
(Someone please correct me if i said something wrong..)
They do exist , The problem is that due to their nature, we can't have a direct evidence of there existence, you can't just point the telescope to a part of space look into one.
We can know they are out there buy looking at indirect evidence , such as gravitational lensing, and stars that appear to be in orbit round a point in space where there is no visible matter, or X-ray emmited from the accretion disk..
I guess there is other way to determine.

There is no fear that our sun could turn into a black hole , it doesn't have enough mass , Stars with mass about 5 and above the sun's mass are what you could expect to become a black hole.

I don't know much of the wormholes thing but I do know this , to use a wormhole you'd need exotic matter(matter that have negative or imaginary mass) to make the wormhole usable..
BTW : Wormholes and black holes are both solution to Einstein field equations, no one was thinking it would be cool , they are solution..

Last edited:
.First of all, don't apologize for asking questions! As an educator, I believe that asking questions is the best way to learn and expand our understanding.

To answer your first question, yes, black holes do exist. They are not just a theory, but have been observed and studied by astronomers. In fact, in 2019, scientists were able to capture the first ever image of a black hole. While there are still many mysteries surrounding black holes, their existence is widely accepted in the scientific community.

As for your second question, our sun will not become a black hole. While it is true that black holes are formed from the collapse of a star, our sun is not massive enough for this to happen. Instead, it will eventually expand into a red giant and then collapse into a white dwarf.

And finally, wormholes are currently still a theoretical concept. While there is no direct evidence of their existence, they are a possible solution to Einstein's theory of general relativity. Some scientists believe that if we could manipulate space and time, we may be able to create wormholes. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and exploration.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and satisfy your curiosity. Keep asking questions and learning, it's the best way to expand our understanding of the universe.

1. What exactly is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses, creating an infinitely dense singularity.

2. How big is the sun compared to other stars?

The sun is considered an average-sized star, with a diameter of about 1.4 million kilometers. However, compared to other stars in the universe, it is relatively small. There are stars that are thousands of times larger than the sun.

3. Can anything survive entering a black hole?

No, anything that enters a black hole will be pulled into its singularity and crushed. This is due to the immense gravitational force that increases as you get closer to the singularity.

4. What is a wormhole and how does it differ from a black hole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel that connects two distant points in spacetime. It is theorized that it could be a shortcut for traveling vast distances in the universe. Unlike a black hole, a wormhole does not have an event horizon and objects can enter and exit without being destroyed.

5. Is it possible to travel through a wormhole?

There is currently no evidence to support the existence of wormholes, and even if they do exist, the technology to travel through them is far beyond our current capabilities. The concept of wormholes is still purely theoretical and requires further research and understanding.

Suggested for: Black holes, the sun and wormholes.

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views