Formation of jets with accretion disks at black holes

In summary: Mmmm, yes, after some reference searching I get the feeling that my hope of a sketch of the physical process "on the back of an enevelope" is a bit naive.I was hoping to get some feeling of why there are jets in the first place, and how its direction(s) roughly are determined.This may not be so easy - I don't think the phenomenon is completely understood.At first order, things are simple. If the source is surrounded by an orbiting disk, you get absorbtion in the disk-ward direction and thus transmission perpendicular to that. The problem is that jets seem to be narrower and more energetic than that simple model.I don't think
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Looking for resources on the formation of jets at black holes
Dear all,

I'm going to give a course about black holes at an astrophysics association. The public will consist mainly of lay persons, perhaps wit a little bit of physics background. My background in General Relativity is good, but my background in astrophysics at bit less. My question is if you know about some good online resources/lecture notes about the formation of jets (and accretion discs) around black holes, and the mechanisms behind those jets launching charged particles. Is there an intuitive/easy way to understand how those jets form in the first place? Many thanks.

Likes vanhees71
Astronomy news on Phys.org
This may not be so easy - I don't think the phenomenon is completely understood.

At first order, things are simple. If the source is surrounded by an orbiting disk, you get absorbtion in the disk-ward direction and thus transmission perpendicular to that. The problem is that jets seem to be narrower and more energetic than that simple model.

I don't think there is any model that reproduces all the observed features. Shock seems to be involved, ant multi-component fluids (electrons do this, ions do that). Certainly magnetic fields by themselves won't do the trick.

Wasn;t there an Annual Review on jets a few years back?

Likes vanhees71
I concur that your task is far from simple. The only postulated mechanisms that I am aware of for formation of relativistic jets are the Penrose process and the Blandford-Znajek mechanism.

The first is based on frame-dragging, the second on a magnetized accretion disk with rotational contortions of the field lines.

Likes vanhees71
Hyperfine said:
I concur that your task is far from simple. The only postulated mechanisms that I am aware of for formation of relativistic jets are the Penrose process and the Blandford-Znajek mechanism.

The first is based on frame-dragging, the second on a magnetized accretion disk with rotational contortions of the field lines.
Mmmm, yes, after some reference searching I get the feeling that my hope of a sketch of the physical process "on the back of an enevelope" is a bit naive. I was hoping to get some feeling of why there are jets in the first place, and how its direction(s) roughly are determined.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
This may not be so easy - I don't think the phenomenon is completely understood.

At first order, things are simple. If the source is surrounded by an orbiting disk, you get absorbtion in the disk-ward direction and thus transmission perpendicular to that. The problem is that jets seem to be narrower and more energetic than that simple model.

I don't think there is any model that reproduces all the observed features. Shock seems to be involved, ant multi-component fluids (electrons do this, ions do that). Certainly magnetic fields by themselves won't do the trick.

Wasn;t there an Annual Review on jets a few years back?
You mean

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/pdf/10.1146/annurev-astro-081817-051948
?
That's behind a paywall, unfortunately.

haushofer said:
behind a paywall
Unless you need it now, that's what libraries are for,

But why not just giove them the first order explanation perhaps adding "reality is far more complicated and not entirely understood".

Vanadium 50 said:
Unless you need it now, that's what libraries are for,

But why not just giove them the first order explanation perhaps adding "reality is far more complicated and not entirely understood".
Yeah, sure, it's mostly for my own understanding. I'm just a bit surprised that my intuition falls short here, so I guess I learned something new :P

Likes Hyperfine
Neutron stars also have relativistic jets. A black hole is not a requirement. One may easily find images of the jets from the neutron star in the Crab Nebula. We know it has a neutron star because it is a pulsar. A black hole cannot be a pulsar.

I know that there is as yet no completely satisfactory explanation of relativistic jets. That is, an entirely successful model has yet to be built.

Likes vanhees71
Old habits die hard - likewise old models. People still say that nothing can get out of a black hole but Hawking changed that many years ago (1970s).

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the formation process of jets at black holes?

The formation of jets at black holes is a complex process that involves the interaction between the black hole's strong gravitational pull and the surrounding matter. As matter falls towards the black hole, it forms an accretion disk around the black hole's event horizon. The intense friction and magnetic fields within the disk cause some of the matter to be ejected in the form of powerful jets.

2. How do accretion disks contribute to the formation of jets at black holes?

Accretion disks play a crucial role in the formation of jets at black holes. As matter falls towards the black hole, it is heated up and forms a disk around the black hole's event horizon. This disk is the source of the intense friction and magnetic fields that drive the formation of jets. The matter in the disk is accelerated and ejected along the black hole's rotation axis, forming the powerful jets.

3. Are there different types of jets that can form at black holes?

Yes, there are two main types of jets that can form at black holes: relativistic and non-relativistic jets. Relativistic jets are highly energetic and travel at close to the speed of light, while non-relativistic jets are slower and less energetic. The type of jet that forms depends on the properties of the black hole and the accretion disk, such as the black hole's spin and the amount of matter being accreted.

4. What is the role of magnetic fields in the formation of jets at black holes?

Magnetic fields play a crucial role in the formation of jets at black holes. As matter falls towards the black hole, it becomes ionized and forms a plasma that is highly conductive. This plasma interacts with the black hole's magnetic field, causing the magnetic field lines to twist and amplify. This amplification of magnetic fields is what drives the acceleration and collimation of the jet material.

5. Can the formation of jets at black holes be observed?

Yes, the formation of jets at black holes can be observed using various telescopes and instruments, such as radio telescopes, X-ray telescopes, and gamma-ray telescopes. These jets emit radiation across the electromagnetic spectrum, making them visible to different types of telescopes. By studying the properties and behavior of these jets, scientists can gain a better understanding of the processes involved in the formation of jets at black holes.