Blinking lights can hurt your head?

• Medical
  • Thread starter noagname
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Lights
In summary, blinking lights do not directly cause seizures, but they can trigger seizures in individuals with pre-existing seizure disorders. They can also cause eye strain, potentially due to the brain's response to the rapid oscillation and the frequency of the blinking light. However, this effect can vary from person to person and not everyone experiences it with computer monitors.
noagname
I was wondering, I have heard that watching a blinking light can give you a head ack and a seizure. Why does that happen because our computer screens and tvs, are just blinking lights. They blink at about 60-80 times a second.

Biology news on Phys.org
Blinking lights don't give you seizures, but they can INDUCE a seizure in someone with a pre-existing seizure disorder.

They can also hurt your eyes, but I'm not exactly sure why. It could be due to persistence of vision and your brain's attempt to deal with the fast oscillation. And it is frequency dependent, and different from person to person, so not everyon experiences it with computer monitors.

1. Can blinking lights really hurt my head?

Yes, blinking lights can have a negative impact on some people's heads. This is known as photosensitive epilepsy, a condition where certain visual stimuli, such as flashing or flickering lights, can trigger seizures in individuals with epilepsy. It can also cause headaches and discomfort in people without epilepsy.

2. How do blinking lights cause headaches?

Blinking lights can cause headaches by overstimulating the visual cortex in the brain. This can lead to migraines, tension headaches, and eyestrain. The intensity, frequency, and duration of the lights can also play a role in how severe the headaches may be.

3. Are all types of blinking lights harmful?

No, not all types of blinking lights are harmful. Some people may only experience discomfort with certain types of lights, such as strobe lights or repetitive flashing patterns. It is important to pay attention to your own individual reactions to determine what types of blinking lights may trigger discomfort or headaches.

4. Can I prevent blinking lights from causing headaches?

Yes, there are some steps you can take to prevent blinking lights from causing headaches. These include limiting your exposure to blinking lights, adjusting the brightness and contrast of screens or devices, and taking breaks to rest your eyes. If you have photosensitive epilepsy, it is important to avoid known triggers and consult with a doctor for further guidance.

5. Is there a cure for photosensitive epilepsy?

While there is currently no cure for photosensitive epilepsy, there are treatments and management techniques that can help reduce the frequency and severity of seizures triggered by flashing lights. These may include medication, lifestyle changes, and avoiding known triggers. It is important to work with a doctor to find the best treatment plan for your individual needs.