Block matrix transformation of specific form

In summary, the conversation is about the existence of a transformation matrix T that can preserve the form of matrix A=[A1 A2 ; I 0], where all blocks of A are in R^{nxn}, I is identity and 0 is zero matrix. The participants discuss different possible values for T and conclude that T=[T 0; 0 T] is the only case that satisfies the condition, while other cases such as T=[T11 0 ; 0 T22] or [t t; t t] do not have an inverse matrix.
SNicolas
Hi everyone,

I am trying to solve the following problem. Is there exist a transformation matrix T, different then the block diagonal, with all blocks the same, such that the form of the matrix A=[A1 A2 ; I 0], is preserved? All blocks of A are in R^{nxn}, I is identity and 0 is zero matrix. In other words, is there exist matrix T (again, not block diagonal with all blocks the same) such that T^{-1}*A*T=B, where B=[B1 B2 ; I 0]?
By intuition, such matrix T does not exist, but I do not know how this can be shown.
If anyone has an idea about this please help. Thank you in advance.

Nicolas

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So T should be like [t t; t t]?
For the lower blocks of B, this would give the equations 1*t + 0*t = 1 and 1*t + 0*t = 0 => contradiction

Thanks for your reply.

Since I am looking for the existence of T, in general it could be
T=[T11 T12 ; T21 T22]. I know that T=[T 0; 0 T] holds, but I want to show that this is the only case. For example T=[T11 0 ; 0 T22] cannot hold, neither the example that you proposed.

Ok, I was not sure what "with all blocks the same" means.
Anyway, [t t; t t] matrix would not have an inverse matrix.

Thank you for sharing your problem. This is an interesting question and one that requires some mathematical analysis to answer.

Based on the given information, it seems that the transformation matrix T would need to have a specific form in order to preserve the structure of A. One possibility could be a block matrix with diagonal blocks and off-diagonal blocks that are all the same. However, this would still result in a block diagonal matrix after the transformation, which is not the desired outcome.

Another possibility could be a transformation matrix with off-diagonal blocks that are not all the same, but still have some kind of pattern or symmetry that would preserve the structure of A. This would require further analysis to determine if such a matrix exists.

In general, it is not always possible to find a transformation matrix that will preserve the structure of a given matrix. This is because the structure of a matrix is determined by its entries, and the transformation matrix can only manipulate these entries in certain ways. Without knowing more about the specific problem and the properties of A, it is difficult to determine if such a matrix T exists.

I would suggest exploring different transformation matrices and their effects on A, and also considering the specific properties and constraints of A to see if a solution can be found. I hope this helps and good luck with your problem.

1. What is a block matrix transformation of specific form?

A block matrix transformation of specific form is a mathematical operation that involves dividing a large matrix into smaller blocks and performing a transformation on each block. This type of transformation is useful in solving complex systems of equations and analyzing data.

2. How is a block matrix transformation of specific form different from a regular matrix transformation?

A regular matrix transformation involves performing a single transformation on an entire matrix, while a block matrix transformation involves performing different transformations on smaller blocks of the matrix. This allows for more flexibility and precision in the transformation process.

3. What are some common applications of block matrix transformation of specific form?

Block matrix transformation of specific form is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science for tasks such as signal processing, image compression, and solving systems of linear equations.

4. How is a block matrix constructed for a specific form transformation?

A block matrix is constructed by dividing a larger matrix into smaller blocks, usually of equal size. The blocks can then be rearranged in a specific form based on the desired transformation. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows and columns as the original matrix, but with the blocks in a different arrangement.

5. Can any matrix be transformed using a block matrix of specific form?

No, not all matrices can be transformed using a block matrix of specific form. The matrix must have a specific structure that allows it to be divided into smaller blocks and transformed in a meaningful way. Matrices that do not have this structure may require a different type of transformation or cannot be transformed at all.