1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Body diagonals -- unit vector notation

1. Oct 23, 2016 #1
    • Member warned to complete the template and show details of the effort made
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm fully convinced that the zero values make sense, yet they are wrong, can somebody plz explain why is that the case

4.png

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attempt in the image above

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

(a,0,0) is the bottom, left and front vertex in the diagram, right? Where is the other end of the diagonal from there?

4. Oct 23, 2016 #3
    It's at the top right corner of the image, which has 0 x-coordinate, am i mistaken?

5. Oct 23, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's right. The vector along that diagonal is the difference between the endpoints, as vectors.

6. Oct 23, 2016 #5
    However, I wrote zero in the i component in the answer space to part (b), does that mean the computer system is wrong and I am right?

7. Oct 23, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, zero is wrong. Write the vector expressions for the two endpoints of the diagonal and subtract the bottom left front one from the top right back one. No zeroes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted