Body twitches before I fall asleep

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Fall
In summary: It was an interesting experience, but I've never had it again.I'm thinking that when "we" all lived on the steppes and there were lots of dangerous animals prowling about in night-time, those individuals who were better able to snap out of sleep with their muscles fully functional might have an adaptive advantage compared to those that didn't have that ability (at least, they wouldn't be eaten in their sleep..).This makes sense. On the steppes, you would need to be constantly aware in order to stay alive. The ability to snap out of sleep and stay alert would be advantageous.
JamesU
Gold Member
Sometimes, almost every night, when I'm just about to fall asleep, my body shakes orjumps a few inches of the bed. can anyone explain this?

Biology news on Phys.org
You mean like an involuntary twitch in all your muscles, causing you to jump?

If there is no pain,and it only happens once a night, I wouldn't worry about it. My son has restless leg syndrome, the twitch happens more then once and is mostly in his legs but can make his entire body jump.

I would think it has something to do with the rather more common "snapping awake" phenomenon (i.e, sitting in your chair dozing, and then with a muscular jerking, becomes fully awake in less than a second)

arildno said:
You mean like an involuntary twitch in all your muscles, causing you to jump?
yes, exactly.

arildno said:
I would think it has something to do with the rather more common "snapping awake" phenomenon (i.e, sitting in your chair dozing, and then with a muscular jerking, becomes fully awake in less than a second)
yes, right again

Now, this is just total speculation on my part (I haven't any sort of evidence for it), but perhaps what you (and many others) are having is a basically a natural response occurring erratically because the original provocant of the response is not present any longer.

I'm thinking that when "we" all lived on the steppes and there were lots of dangerous animals prowling about in night-time, those individuals who were better able to snap out of sleep with their muscles fully functional might have an adaptive advantage compared to those that didn't have that ability (at least, they wouldn't be eaten in their sleep..).

So, your ability to do this is on occasion brought into action; perhaps just to keep you fit, or something?

yomamma said:
Sometimes, almost every night, when I'm just about to fall asleep, my body shakes orjumps a few inches of the bed. can anyone explain this?
It happened to me when I was almost in your age. I was about to fall asleep and suddenly I thought I was about to fall from somewhere or fall into a hole and stuff like that and I jumped alittle and sometimes almost sat in my bed. But it doesn't happen to me anymore. Right now other things wake me up. :wink: Anyway I think your problem will sort out as you get older.And Perhaps you'll get into other kind of problems problems like insomnia or not having enough time to sleep!

it might be serious it might not

everyone once -in-a-while, when I am in that almost asleep, but not quite state and I dream that i trip or jump, my body reacts. I think it is just that I have started to dream but am not fully asleep so my body still reacts to mental commands and thoughts. i think thast normal and not serious, but hey just cause it happens to me doesn't mean its ok :P

Hypnic jerk

It's called hypnic jerk. Everyone experiences them.

Here's a cute article on it.

http://www.discovery.com/area/skinnyon/skinnyon971114/skinnyon.html [Broken]

Mine are usually associated with a dream (as I am falling asleep) that I am falling.

Last edited by a moderator:
it hasný happened to mein awhile now

yomamma said:
it hasný happened to mein awhile now
It comes and goes.

Evo said:
It's called hypnic jerk.
Mine are usually associated with a dream (as I am falling asleep) that I am falling.
That makes sense, because when falling, you are accelerating, and since the jerk is the derivative of acceleration, it is only natural that you should snap awake, or jerk, rather.

Lisa! said:
It happened to me when I was almost in your age. I was about to fall asleep and suddenly I thought I was about to fall from somewhere or fall into a hole and stuff like that and I jumped alittle and sometimes almost sat in my bed. But it doesn't happen to me anymore. Right now other things wake me up. :wink: Anyway I think your problem will sort out as you get older.And Perhaps you'll get into other kind of problems problems like insomnia or not having enough time to sleep!

Something to that effect happened to me once back in high school. I was falling asleep in study hall, and I slipped into a very brief "dream": I was riding my bicycle, and for some reason (it was very vague; I must have hit a bump) my bike flips foward and I was launched over the handlebars. In effect, I "jumped" awake and became very alert, perhaps with the fear that my head would smash into the ground.

1. Why do I experience body twitches before falling asleep?

Body twitches or jerks before falling asleep are known as hypnic jerks. They are involuntary muscle movements that occur as the body transitions from wakefulness to sleep. These twitches are a normal part of the body's natural sleep process and can be caused by a variety of factors such as stress, caffeine consumption, or physical exhaustion.

2. Are body twitches before falling asleep a sign of a sleep disorder?

In most cases, experiencing body twitches before falling asleep is not a sign of a sleep disorder. However, if the twitches are accompanied by other sleep disturbances or excessive daytime sleepiness, it is best to consult a doctor for further evaluation.

3. Can I prevent or reduce body twitches before falling asleep?

While it is not possible to completely prevent body twitches before falling asleep, there are some steps you can take to reduce their frequency. These include practicing relaxation techniques before bedtime, avoiding caffeine and heavy meals before bedtime, and creating a comfortable sleeping environment.

4. Are certain individuals more prone to experiencing body twitches before falling asleep?

Body twitches before falling asleep can occur in anyone, but certain individuals may be more prone to experiencing them. People with irregular sleep schedules, high levels of stress, or a history of sleep disorders may be more likely to experience hypnic jerks.

5. Can medications or supplements help with body twitches before falling asleep?

There is limited research on the effectiveness of medications or supplements for reducing body twitches before falling asleep. Some people have reported improvement with magnesium or melatonin supplements, but it is best to consult a doctor before taking any new supplements or medications for this issue.