Bombed the Physics GRE....Now What?

• Testing
  • Thread starter NucEngMajor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual studied for the GRE for two months with intensive studying for the past three weeks and completed all practice tests. They are unsure if their poor test performance was due to anxiety or lack of preparation. They are considering applying to a school in Canada that does not require the GRE or retaking the exam. Other factors, such as research experience and letters of recommendation, should also be considered in the application process. Additionally, the predictive power of the physics GRE has been questioned.
NucEngMajor
So I thought I was prepared for the GRE, I studied on and off for about 2 months with intensive study for the past 3 weeks, completed all practice tests, know most of the equations. I don't know if I can attribute this poor test performance to anxiety or just lack of preparation ( I know many students prepare for 5+ months). I know many of you will say that I'm jumping the gun without seeing my score, but based on how I felt on practice exams and my inability to solve the basic problems on the test, I'm almost sure my score is less than 600. That being said what should I do? I can apply to a school in Canada that doesn't require the GRE (thinking of University of Toronto but I don't know how selective they are), or set myself a year back and repeat the exam. I honestly don't know what I'd do differently this time. I feel like I was prepared. I am a decent student 3.5 overall, 3.9 in Physics, I did well on the general GRE but I feel this exam is very important for admission committees, especially since I want to do theory. I feel that a < 600 score will result in across to board rejections. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
In reality, a physics GRE is only one part of your application. Where do you stand on research experience? A student with a pGRE of 600 but with several first-author publications and with excellent letters of recommendation from different research groups is quite different than the student with the same pGRE score but who has never done research.

NucEngMajor said:
thinking of University of Toronto but I don't know how selective they are

Very.

My advice is to wait to re-take it! In all honesty, if you want to get into competitive schools then re-take it in April. Do more research in the meantime and study hard for the next test.I'm speaking from life experience. My chances were not that good with a 650! So I think it's good to aim for 700+

Last edited:
I know quite a few people that were only a year away from a math degree, so when they bombed the physics GRE they took an extra year and went for the math degree and studied hard for the pGRE. Is that an option?

I bombed it as well. In fact, my score went DOWN after I took another year of courses. Fortunately, many grad schools are either de-emphasizing the physics GRE or not requiring it any more (UT Austin, Clemson, and a few others). Studies show that the best test of whether you'll finish a PhD in physics is actually the writing section of the regular GRE. The physics GRE has no predictive power. (I finished my PhD in physics, did a postdoc at NASA, and now I'm a professor.)

eri said:
The physics GRE has no predictive power.

No predictive power? Are you saying someone who gets every question right is no more likely to do well in graduate school that someone who gets none of them right? If so, I'd like to see that study.

1. What is the Physics GRE and why is it important?

The Physics GRE is a standardized test designed to assess a student's knowledge and understanding of physics at the undergraduate level. It is an important factor in graduate school admissions for physics programs and is used to evaluate a student's potential for success in a graduate physics program.

2. How much does a low score on the Physics GRE affect my chances of getting into a graduate program?

While a low score on the Physics GRE may not completely disqualify you from being accepted into a graduate program, it can certainly make it more difficult. Admissions committees typically look at a variety of factors, including grades, research experience, and letters of recommendation, but a strong Physics GRE score can help strengthen your overall application.

3. Can I retake the Physics GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the Physics GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, keep in mind that most schools will see all of your scores, not just the highest one. So it is important to prepare and do your best on the first attempt.

4. What steps can I take to improve my score on the Physics GRE?

Some steps you can take to improve your score on the Physics GRE include studying and reviewing fundamental concepts, taking practice tests, and seeking help from tutors or study groups. It's also important to manage your time effectively during the test and not get too bogged down on difficult questions.

5. Are there any alternative options for graduate programs if I do not have a strong Physics GRE score?

Yes, there are alternative options for graduate programs if you do not have a strong Physics GRE score. For example, some programs may have a minimum score requirement, while others may place more emphasis on other factors such as research experience or strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, some schools may offer conditional acceptance or allow students to retake the Physics GRE after being admitted. It's important to research and reach out to programs to understand their specific requirements and options.