• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What schools accept mid level Physics GRE scores?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm applying to grad school this season. I've been preparing for the October PGRE for a few weeks non-stop and my scores are basically hitting a brick wall in the 50th percentile. I basically spend all my free time studying and I'm getting tired.

Know I've got a good shot at the top schools if I can get up to mid 70s (I have lots of research experience, 4.0GPA, good reccomenders, etc), but right now I feel like they'll look at my pgre score and throw my app in the trash. I guess my school's physics curriculum is sub standard.

What are some schools to look at that I can get into with ~50th percentile? I'm trying to go into quantum information experiment.

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
It's impossible to guess what will be going through a particular admissions committee's mind. Sometimes they focus more on one aspect of a portfolio and sometimes another.

I'm applying to grad school this season....in the 50th percentile.

I have lots of research experience, 4.0GPA, good reccomenders, etc)
There is A LOT of AMO going on here at U Arizona, and I know a few physics grads whose PGREs were ~50%. I know one professor's lab does some QI stuff (but you have have to research it further to see if it is what you are after). I believe that what is most important to our acceptance committee is usually having extensive undergrad research. And be prepared, if you interview/speak with an experimentalist prof as they will want to know about ALL the hands-on experimental research you have done (so organize your work ahead of time).

Last edited:
Basically, the worry is that people below 50% often struggle with the comps, and there is very little chance of getting in if you are in the 20's. To be honest, I have seen monster test takers who were lousy physicists, and people who really struggled with test-taking who churned out 1st author paper after paper. So I really do agree with our department's perspective in evaluating each applicant's entire body of work (even though I myself am a monster test taker). Best of luck!

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll post an update. I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. My official score is 760, 67%. Not the greatest, but I think I've got a shot with all other things considered judging from that interesting list in the post above this one.