1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Book reviews and recommendations

1. May 28, 2008 #1
    Well it’s my first post here so I guess I can start out by saying hello. *wave*

As the title implies, I am looking for recommendations on books regarding math (although sciences, physics, and any other books to help farther my education would be a great help as well). The thing is, I am enrolling in collage for the 2009 school year for my bachelors in Computer Science and I really don't want to spend the beginning year taking courses I should of, or did take during my high school days. So from now tell when I begin classes I am going to be spending my spare time self teaching the basics from where I left off to as advanced as I can manage in the time frame.

The last math course I was in was about two years ago, and it was a high school Algebra II class. The public school systems in this area is not the greatest, and it’s been some time so I will be looking for books aimed at below average Algebra II knowledge and above. Hopefully some centered on people trying to self teach themselves math. As for science I have no idea where to start because in all honesty I can’t remember the last science course I was in, and for physics I most likely shouldn’t even bother tell I have a great understanding on mathematics. So science and physics are not awfully high on my priority list at the moment.

Sorry that I can’t narrow in more on topics I need material on, and that’s mainly due to the fact I need to learn nearly everything, not just a single topic haha.

As always, any replies would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Err well I feel smart now, didn't even see the book review section haha. I guess glancing over the search result screen wasn't a very thorough search now was it.

Another edit, seems emsidis fulfills my request in a few posts under mine... once again, I feel smart :blushing:
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

read my thread who wants to be a mathematician, where i and others give detailed book recommendations at all levels.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?