Books and Resources on Business and Economics

In summary, the conversation discusses starting a forum for business and economics book reviews and mentions the book When Markets Collide by Mohamed El-Erian, which won the 2008 Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award. The book provides a clear and insightful explanation of the credit crisis and offers strategies for surviving it. The author, who has a background in finance and economics, has already made a significant impact with the book. In addition, the conversation briefly mentions another book called "Scratch Beginnings" by Adam Shepard, which chronicles the author's journey from poverty to success.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Well, we have a forum devoted to Science Book Reviews, so I thought I'd start one on business and economics.

When Markets Collide: Investment Strategies for the Age of Global Economic Change, by Mohamed El-Erian.

http://www2.goldmansachs.com/our-firm/press/press-releases/current/business-book-award-winner-announcement.html

Analysis of credit crisis wins business award
A “lucid and prescient” explanation of the credit crisis, and how to survive it, has won the 2008 Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award.

When Markets Collide by Mohamed El-Erian was described by Lloyd Blankfein, Goldman’s chairman and chief executive and one of the judges, as “extremely accessible and compelling”.
. . . .

The book, published by McGraw-Hill in May before the latest convulsions of the credit crunch, has already had a big impact, partly because its author is also co-chief executive officer and co-chief investment officer of Pimco, the fixed-income fund manager.

Reviewing the book in July, the Financial Times’s John Authers said few people were “as well-positioned to understand markets” as Mr El-Erian, who has also worked at the International Monetary Fund and run Harvard University’s $35bn (£20bn) endowment fund.

Excepts from this book and others can be found at - http://www.ft.com/cms/2729dac2-840e-11dd-bf00-000077b07658.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I heard Adam Shepard talking about his book "Scratch Beginnings," and it would make for a good read. Basically he started from the bottom and went up.

http://www.scratchbeginnings.com/

I find the study of business and economics to be fascinating and important. While my field may focus on different aspects of the world, it is clear that understanding the forces that drive markets and economies is crucial for creating a sustainable and thriving society. The book When Markets Collide by Mohamed El-Erian appears to be a thought-provoking and insightful analysis of the current global economic landscape. Its recognition as the 2008 Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year is a testament to its value and relevance.

I am particularly interested in the author's background and experience, which includes working at the International Monetary Fund and managing a large endowment fund. This gives him a unique perspective and expertise in the subject matter. I am also intrigued by the book's impact and accessibility, as described by the judges and reviewers.

In addition to When Markets Collide, I am also interested in exploring other books and resources on business and economics mentioned in this forum and the Financial Times article. I believe that expanding my knowledge in this area will not only enhance my understanding of the world, but also provide valuable insights and perspectives that can inform my scientific research. I look forward to delving into these materials and learning more about the intersection of business, economics, and science.

1. What are the best books for beginners in business and economics?

Some popular books for beginners in business and economics include "The Lean Startup" by Eric Ries, "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman, and "Freakonomics" by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about business and economics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about business and economics. Some popular websites include Investopedia, Harvard Business Review, and The Economist.

3. What are the differences between business and economics?

Business refers to the activities and operations of a company or organization, while economics is the study of how individuals, businesses, and governments make decisions and allocate resources. In simpler terms, business focuses on the practical application of economic principles to achieve objectives and generate profits.

4. Are there any books that specifically focus on the intersection of business and economics?

Yes, there are several books that explore the intersection of business and economics. Some examples include "Capitalism and Freedom" by Milton Friedman, "The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith, and "The Innovator's Dilemma" by Clayton Christensen.

5. Are there any resources for staying updated on current events in the business and economics world?

Yes, there are many resources available for staying updated on current events in the business and economics world. This includes newspapers such as The Wall Street Journal and Financial Times, as well as online publications like Bloomberg and Forbes.