Books on Neuroscience: Consciousness, Altered States, Hallucinations

  • Topic: Medical 
  • Thread starter Thread starter arkturus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Books Neuroscience
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
arkturus
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Hey guys, I just finished watching the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_States" . As a movie, it wasn't bad, but it was the subject matter that really interested me. The main character is trying to find out what exactly consciousnesses is using hallucinogenics and a float tank, and eventually becomes the very beginning of what consciousnesses is.

Anyway, I'm looking for some books on this sort of thing. Obviously not general neuroscience, but stuff related to consciousness, altered states of consciousness, sense deprivation, hallucinations, etc etc.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Check out Aldous Huxley's "The Doors of Perception" for hallucinogen (mescaline) information.

I just started reading "I Am A Strange Loop" by Douglas Hofstadter and I have to highly recommend it. He has a physics background, breaking the ideas behind neuroscience and our understanding of our self and all that exists around us to their smallest units. It's very straightforward while still being engaging. Definitely worth taking a look.