Borax Ant Baits and Sand

• Thread starter Cobul
  • Start date
In summary: A flying ant.They are quite common here in Southern California, so common that every wood frame house that is sold gets inspected, and quite often tented and fumigated.
Cobul
terro bait.jpg
I put a Terro liquid ant bait (made of Borax), and the Pharaoh Ants were attracted to it. But as they went inside, they slowly build some kind of sand mount in the entrance. The bait hole is a bit higher up the surface, were they constructing some kinds of steps? Why are their putting dirts even inside the Terro? At first I thought the ants were trying to neutralize the Borax with some kinds of compounds. But they seem to get fewer in numbers so the Borax could be effective.

What kinds of reactions to neutralize Borax anyway?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
They were probably building a ramp for easy access.

I don't know how to neutralize boric acid, just that it is a very good pesticide, even works on cock roaches!

Save yourself some money, the bait is boric acid and sugar, and I would guess water, all very low priced. Look in the Insecticide section of a hardware store for the boric acid... the sugar and water should be easy. :wink:

Just don't get it in an open sore or breath much of it, and after handling wash before eating or drinking. It used to be the go-to as an eye wash solution for minor eye infections.

For the Terro bait the SDS (MSDS, Material Safety Data Sheet) can be downloaded here as a .PDF:
https://images.salsify.com/image/upload/s--IqYI3TQg--/fl_attachment/an3hh3ievridzitbua5f.pdf

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Cobul
terra leak 1q.jpg
terra leak 2.jpg

After 3 days. The borax liquid leaked. And it happened to 2 separate bait. Did the Pharaoh ants just eat the plastic? Or was there a chemical reaction?

It filled the room with smell. I removed the baits and wiped the liquid. And read instructiona from Terro website one was supposed to use wet cloth with hot water and soak the spots for one hour. I did that.

What is hot water connected to boric acid?

How else would you remove it?

If memory serves me well boric acid is difficult to dissolve, most likely the hot water just speeds the dissolution up. Also its solubility goes up with temperature, so hot water will help in cleaning as well.

I put those things on a piece of aluminum foil with the edges turned up a bit, in case of such events.
The ants always find their way here.
You can speed it up by putting few ants on the container.
If they are happy with the bait, they will leave a trail fo followers.

Likes Cobul and Tom.G
Note: aluminum is rather reactive, I would not use it in a presence of any substance that has "acid" in the name (unless you plan to post another thread starting with "I put the ant bait on the alufoil, it eat through the foil and left some white residue, what the heck is it?" :wink: ).

• Haha
Likes BillTre and Tom.G
When I tried to watch the ants moving around the spilled liquid of the Terro. They seemed to be avoiding the liquid and one only of them took a sip. I read ants can send alarm signal. How does this work in the Pharaoh ants. How many words do they understand (word per pheromone)?

Also the spill caused a quite a smell in the 600 sq. foot room. After removing the two pieces and putting rugs with hot water, it took a night for the smell to disappear.
How dangerous is the smell?

If I put the Terro outside in the balcony at second floor, it may attract other ants in the colony. That's why I may not use it again. But have to resort to putting silicone sealant at all holes. However. Afraid the ants can pass through the third floor to the second floor? Usually how many floors can ants reach just to reach second floor (like through climbing 7 stories high)?

Borek said:
Note: aluminum is rather reactive, I would not use it in a presence of any substance that has "acid" in the name (unless you plan to post another thread starting with "I put the ant bait on the alufoil, it eat through the foil and left some white residue, what the heck is it?" :wink: ).
OK, noted.
Borek on Borax. :biggrin:
Can't say I have ever had a terro spill of anything more than a drop, but I have not noted any corrosion.
I guess I'll try wax paper next time.

Likes Cobul
ant wing 1.jpg

ant wing 2.jpg

I saw this (it's one taken with different views) in the restroom of the room where I put the 2 pcs of Terro bait that spilled over after 3 days. What is that insect? Is it an ant? An ant queen or male? Or is a a moth? How do you identify it?

I vote termite! Especially if there are several.

They are quite common here in Southern California, so common that every wood frame house that is sold gets inspected, and quite often tented and fumigated.

Several years ago I saw a flying one land on a stucco wall and crawl into the wall thru a nail hole that had not been patched.

They tend to hatch in the Spring/Summer when there has been a couple days of rain raising the humidity followed warm and sunny days.

If you see several/many small white eggs, about the diameter of a sewing pin laying around, there is most likely a nest of them above. Although any ant colony will carry their eggs out if the nest is in danger.

Cheers,
Tom

Last edited:
Likes Cobul
polyvarnish.jpg

https://www.toolstation.com/polyurethane-varnish/p27743

When the Terro borax first spilled, there was no smell. The smell only came out after two hours. The flooring has polyurethane varnish coating.

What is the possible product of
Polyurethane + Boric Acid?

Anything that can create strong smell after they reacted?

multi_insect_killer1.jpg

multi_insect_killer2.jpg

This is a multi insect killer spray consisting of Imiprothrin, Prallethrin and Cybermethrin.
I don't want to use Borax. If I just need spray and for specific targets of ants only. Which ingredient must it be that is simplest and safest? Because Prallethrin is used for mosquitoes, but I want for ants only. The source is interior, the ants are living inside a wall, and I can't take it apart just to access the small colony. And don't want to use Terro because of unexpected meltdown.

After I removed the Terro baits because it was spilling on the floor. I noticed Pharaot ants in the baseboard near the floor. But when I put new Terro baits. They avoid it now.

What mechanism can they do that? Do they put danger pheronome trails on the paths to the bait? Or talk to each other? (How?) How do they communicate to avoid that specific bait?

And I mixed it with Honey, would the Borax become dilluted that it won't work anymore?

What is Borax and how does it work in ant baits?

Borax is a naturally occurring mineral compound that is commonly used in ant baits. It works by disrupting the ant's digestive system, causing it to slowly starve to death. Borax is also toxic to ants, making it an effective method of pest control.

What is the purpose of sand in ant baits?

Sand is often used as a carrier for the borax in ant baits. It helps to distribute the borax evenly and provides a rough texture that ants can easily walk on. The sand also helps to prevent the bait from drying out too quickly.

Are Borax ant baits safe to use around children and pets?

When used as directed, Borax ant baits are generally considered safe for use around children and pets. However, it is important to keep the bait out of reach of children and pets to prevent accidental ingestion. If ingested, seek medical attention immediately.

How long does it take for Borax ant baits to work?

The effectiveness of Borax ant baits can vary depending on the size and severity of the ant infestation. In most cases, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for the bait to eliminate the ant colony. It is important to continue using the bait until all ants are gone.

Can Borax ant baits be used for other types of pests?

Borax ant baits are specifically designed for ants and may not be effective for other types of pests. It is best to use baits that are specifically formulated for the type of pest you are trying to eliminate. Consult a pest control professional for advice on the most effective method of pest control for your specific situation.