Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Boundary of a spinfoam

1. Apr 29, 2015 #1

naima

Gold Member

I read in wikipedia that the boundary of a spinfoam is a spin network.
    Is it true?
    How can we define what is the boundary of a finite connected spinfoam?
    I have the same question for a spin network.
    As in LQG boundaries are of paramount importance, I think that we have to define them.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

julian

Gold Member

You could look at the book "Covariant Loop Quantum Gravity: An Elementary Introduction to Quantum Gravity and Spinfoam Theory" There is a chapter on classical discretization of GR. You may want to look particularly at section 4.4 where they start with the simple case of 3-spatial dimensions and define the connection between bulk and boundary and establish notation. At the start of chapter 7 they talk about the generalization to 4D spacetime.

A draft version of the book is quoted as here http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~rovelli/IntroductionLQG.pdf

4. Apr 30, 2015 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.4539
    Holonomy Spin Foam Models: Boundary Hilbert spaces and Time Evolution Operators
    Bianca Dittrich, Frank Hellmann, Wojciech Kaminski

The notion of a boundary is defined in section 3.1, and the spin network basis for the boundary Hilbert space is given in section 3.2.

5. May 3, 2015 #4

naima

Gold Member

6. May 4, 2015 #5

naima

Gold Member

As i understand it in a spin network a boundary is a minimal set of edges. a bondary js between two vertices
    if there is no path between them which can avoid these edges. Is this correct?

7. May 4, 2015 #6

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Try again, I think it is OK now.
    It takes a couple of minutes to download the complete draft of the book (illustrations etc.) so it is not fast, but it does work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook