Boundedness and continuous functions

I am working my way through elementary topology, and I have thought up a theorem that I am having trouble proving so any help would be greatly appreciated.
----------------------
Theorem: Let A ⊂ ℝn and B ⊂ ℝm and let f: A → B be continuous and surjective. If A is bounded then B is bounded.
------------------------
You should not assume that A is compact.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Answers and Replies

If you think about the projective bijection between [0,1] and R then we can see that here B=R is not bounded...

Attachments

• projectiv.png
    projectiv.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 442
Last edited by a moderator:
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2021 Award
I am working my way through elementary topology, and I have thought up a theorem that I am having trouble proving so any help would be greatly appreciated.
----------------------
Theorem: Let A ⊂ ℝn and B ⊂ ℝm and let f: A → B be continuous and surjective. If A is bounded then B is bounded.
------------------------
You should not assume that A is compact.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Counterexample:

##\tan : [0, \pi/2) \ \rightarrow \ [0, \infty)##

Thanks. Hmm. This causes me to think because I really thought I had proven it this morning using the sequential definition of continuity and the fact that f is surjective.

I guess I should explain what I'm trying to do. In fact, I am trying to prove compactness. I am trying to prove that a homeomorphism preserves compactness. I know the ordinary way of proving this is to take an open cover of B and using it's finite subcover and φ-1to show that A must be compact. But I can show easily that if A is closed then B is closed and vice versa. I just want to show boundedness and then use Heine-Borel.

So then what is it that makes the difference? Is it because a homeomorphism (as opposed to my function above) is bicontinuous or is it because it is bijective?

micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Thanks. Hmm. This causes me to think because I really thought I had proven it this morning using the sequential definition of continuity and the fact that f is surjective.

I guess I should explain what I'm trying to do. In fact, I am trying to prove compactness. I am trying to prove that a homeomorphism preserves compactness. I know the ordinary way of proving this is to take an open cover of B and using it's finite subcover and φ-1to show that A must be compact. But I can show easily that if A is closed then B is closed and vice versa. I just want to show boundedness and then use Heine-Borel.

So then what is it that makes the difference? Is it because a homeomorphism (as opposed to my function above) is bicontinuous or is it because it is bijective?

Homeomorphisms don't preserve boundedness either. Post 3 is a homeomorphism between ##[0,2\pi)## and ##[0,+\infty)##. Succintly put: boundedness is not a topological concept

Ah, ok. Now it's starting to make sense. But compactness is a topological concept. So if we come at compactness from Heine-Borel, the important addition to my theorem to make it true would be to modify it to this:

A closed and bounded ⇒ B closed and bounded.

Would that make it true (in ℝn)?

micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Ah, ok. Now it's starting to make sense. But compactness is a topological concept. So if we come at compactness from Heine-Borel, the important addition to my theorem to make it true would be to modify it to this:

A closed and bounded ⇒ B closed and bounded.

Would that make it true (in ℝn)?

Yes, that would be true.

Thank you! That has been a great help!

I have one other question to explore this a little further. Is there an example of a closed set that is not bounded (other than a sequence of distinct points)?

micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I have one other question to explore this a little further. Is there an example of a closed set that is not bounded (other than a sequence of distinct points)?

##[0,+\infty)##.

Yep, that does it. Thanks, again!