Boundedness and continuous functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that states if A and B are subsets of real numbers, with A being bounded and f: A → B being a continuous and surjective function, then B is also bounded. However, the conversation also raises the issue of assuming A is compact and provides a counterexample to show that boundedness is not a topological concept. The conversation also explores the possibility of modifying the theorem to include closed sets, which would make it true in ℝn. The conversation concludes with an example of a closed set that is not bounded.
orion
I am working my way through elementary topology, and I have thought up a theorem that I am having trouble proving so any help would be greatly appreciated.
----------------------
Theorem: Let A ⊂ ℝn and B ⊂ ℝm and let f: A → B be continuous and surjective. If A is bounded then B is bounded.
------------------------
You should not assume that A is compact.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you think about the projective bijection between [0,1] and R then we can see that here B=R is not bounded...

Attachments

• projectiv.png
    projectiv.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 500
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes orion
orion said:
I am working my way through elementary topology, and I have thought up a theorem that I am having trouble proving so any help would be greatly appreciated.
----------------------
Theorem: Let A ⊂ ℝn and B ⊂ ℝm and let f: A → B be continuous and surjective. If A is bounded then B is bounded.
------------------------
You should not assume that A is compact.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Counterexample:

##\tan : [0, \pi/2) \ \rightarrow \ [0, \infty)##

Likes orion
Thanks. Hmm. This causes me to think because I really thought I had proven it this morning using the sequential definition of continuity and the fact that f is surjective.

I guess I should explain what I'm trying to do. In fact, I am trying to prove compactness. I am trying to prove that a homeomorphism preserves compactness. I know the ordinary way of proving this is to take an open cover of B and using it's finite subcover and φ-1to show that A must be compact. But I can show easily that if A is closed then B is closed and vice versa. I just want to show boundedness and then use Heine-Borel.

So then what is it that makes the difference? Is it because a homeomorphism (as opposed to my function above) is bicontinuous or is it because it is bijective?

orion said:
Thanks. Hmm. This causes me to think because I really thought I had proven it this morning using the sequential definition of continuity and the fact that f is surjective.

I guess I should explain what I'm trying to do. In fact, I am trying to prove compactness. I am trying to prove that a homeomorphism preserves compactness. I know the ordinary way of proving this is to take an open cover of B and using it's finite subcover and φ-1to show that A must be compact. But I can show easily that if A is closed then B is closed and vice versa. I just want to show boundedness and then use Heine-Borel.

So then what is it that makes the difference? Is it because a homeomorphism (as opposed to my function above) is bicontinuous or is it because it is bijective?

Homeomorphisms don't preserve boundedness either. Post 3 is a homeomorphism between ##[0,2\pi)## and ##[0,+\infty)##. Succintly put: boundedness is not a topological concept

Likes orion
Ah, ok. Now it's starting to make sense. But compactness is a topological concept. So if we come at compactness from Heine-Borel, the important addition to my theorem to make it true would be to modify it to this:

A closed and bounded ⇒ B closed and bounded.

Would that make it true (in ℝn)?

orion said:
Ah, ok. Now it's starting to make sense. But compactness is a topological concept. So if we come at compactness from Heine-Borel, the important addition to my theorem to make it true would be to modify it to this:

A closed and bounded ⇒ B closed and bounded.

Would that make it true (in ℝn)?

Yes, that would be true.

Likes orion
Thank you! That has been a great help!

I have one other question to explore this a little further. Is there an example of a closed set that is not bounded (other than a sequence of distinct points)?

orion said:
I have one other question to explore this a little further. Is there an example of a closed set that is not bounded (other than a sequence of distinct points)?

##[0,+\infty)##.

Likes orion
Yep, that does it. Thanks, again!

1. What does it mean for a function to be bounded?

A function is said to be bounded if its output values, or range, is limited within a certain range. In other words, the values of the function do not exceed a certain upper or lower bound.

2. How can I determine if a function is bounded?

To determine if a function is bounded, you can graph the function and observe the behavior of the curve. If the graph does not approach infinity or negative infinity, then the function is bounded. You can also look at the limits of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. If the limits exist and are finite, then the function is bounded.

3. What is the difference between a bounded function and a continuous function?

A bounded function has a limited range of values, while a continuous function has a continuous and unbroken graph. A continuous function can be bounded or unbounded, but a bounded function cannot have any discontinuities in its graph.

4. Can a discontinuous function be bounded?

Yes, a discontinuous function can be bounded. As long as the function has a limited range of values, it is considered bounded. However, a discontinuous function may have infinite limits at certain points, which means it is not continuous.

5. How does boundedness affect the behavior of a function?

Boundedness affects the behavior of a function by limiting its range of values. This can make the function easier to analyze and interpret, as the values are not infinitely large or small. Bounded functions also have defined limits at certain points, making them more predictable in their behavior.