Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Boundedness and continuous functions

1. Jul 15, 2016 #1
    I am working my way through elementary topology, and I have thought up a theorem that I am having trouble proving so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ----------------------
    Theorem: Let A ⊂ ℝn and B ⊂ ℝm and let f: A → B be continuous and surjective. If A is bounded then B is bounded.
    ------------------------
    You should not assume that A is compact.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2
    If you think about the projective bijection between [0,1] and R then we can see that here B=R is not bounded...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2016
  4. Jul 16, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Counterexample:

##\tan : [0, \pi/2) \ \rightarrow \ [0, \infty)##

5. Jul 16, 2016 #4
    Thanks. Hmm. This causes me to think because I really thought I had proven it this morning using the sequential definition of continuity and the fact that f is surjective.

I guess I should explain what I'm trying to do. In fact, I am trying to prove compactness. I am trying to prove that a homeomorphism preserves compactness. I know the ordinary way of proving this is to take an open cover of B and using it's finite subcover and φ-1to show that A must be compact. But I can show easily that if A is closed then B is closed and vice versa. I just want to show boundedness and then use Heine-Borel.

So then what is it that makes the difference? Is it because a homeomorphism (as opposed to my function above) is bicontinuous or is it because it is bijective?

6. Jul 16, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Homeomorphisms don't preserve boundedness either. Post 3 is a homeomorphism between ##[0,2\pi)## and ##[0,+\infty)##. Succintly put: boundedness is not a topological concept

7. Jul 16, 2016 #6
    Ah, ok. Now it's starting to make sense. But compactness is a topological concept. So if we come at compactness from Heine-Borel, the important addition to my theorem to make it true would be to modify it to this:

A closed and bounded ⇒ B closed and bounded.

Would that make it true (in ℝn)?

8. Jul 16, 2016 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that would be true.

9. Jul 16, 2016 #8
    Thank you! That has been a great help!

10. Jul 16, 2016 #9
    I have one other question to explore this a little further. Is there an example of a closed set that is not bounded (other than a sequence of distinct points)?

11. Jul 16, 2016 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

##[0,+\infty)##.

12. Jul 16, 2016 #11
    Yep, that does it. Thanks, again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted