Brain Drain, summer jobs, advice

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of "brain drain" and summer jobs, with the person explaining their plans for the summer before starting college. They shared their struggles in finding a job and their interest in working in a research laboratory. Others suggested volunteering as a way to improve people skills and potentially lead to internships. The conversation also touched on the pressure to keep up academically and the idea of education not being a race.
Scintillation
"Brain Drain," summer jobs, advice

Hi everyone. School is coming to a close, and I'll be graduating from HS next month. I thought that I should make a little post about my summer plans.

I will be attending college this August, and I will be moving out from home (definitely a new experience for me, but given that my family is not in the best situation economically, it may be best to leave the terrible environment). Of course, college is expensive, but I am glad that I will not get in debt because of tuition costs.

I originally planned to find a summer job, but after the anxiety from college admissions and school work, I started my search very late. Suffice to say, I do not have anything planned. I applied to about 13 jobs, and received one offer, which I could not accept (they wanted me to work until Aug. 31st, but schools starts Aug. 17th). Quite an enlightening experience with the job application process.

I was invited back to my professor's laboratory to do research in a civil-engineering based field. I am definitely interested in the research, as it is one of my potential majors (other possibilities are AEP and MechE), but there is no money involved. I like it more than the potential jobs (e.g. tour guide at a museum, summer camp counselor), but alas, money is pretty important. I suppose that since I really do not have many options the laboratory is not a bad thing to do. It is kind of unfortunate that I could not find a summer job. Perhaps someone knows where I can look.

My parents say that it is not a big deal if I can't find a job. My friends say that I should "take the summer off," since the break is so short anyway (a month and a half). But I am afraid of falling behind from my peers, academically. (hence, "brain drain.")

Many of my classmates in HS have already taken Multivariable Calculus, and Linear Algebra, among other classes. I have not. I know that many people at College will have already taken these classes. Besides, it is nice to learn these things anyway, and they should not be so difficult.

Does anyone know any good books for learning multi and linear algebra? Are there any other topics that I should learn to prepare for the engineering curriculum?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Why don't you volunteer somewhere? It is very late to find a job now, why not hone in on those people skills? You'd be surprised how much it helps out for landing internships and jobs later on if you have good skills working with others. Besides it beats sitting on the internet all day with nothing to do.

Hi. This is very good advice! It is always good to improve people-skills.

I think some places are always looking for volunteers. However, I will have to be careful as to what I will be doing. I volunteered somewhere once, and they had me holding doors/standing in front of doors and greeting people. And making hundreds of phone calls (with a phone script). Not my idea of volunteering my time.

My professor did get back to me regarding an internship, so that may be fruitful.

Scintillation said:
Hi. This is very good advice! It is always good to improve people-skills.

I think some places are always looking for volunteers. However, I will have to be careful as to what I will be doing. I volunteered somewhere once, and they had me holding doors/standing in front of doors and greeting people. And making hundreds of phone calls (with a phone script). Not my idea of volunteering my time.

My professor did get back to me regarding an internship, so that may be fruitful.

Volunteering is a great idea. Let me know how things pan out for you!

I also think that the "who's done what before who" game is a stupid one to play. You'll always lose. Now, some people like to lose... (maybe)

You'll always find people who've taken a course or two before you or people who at your age, had a few degrees more. Heck, Terry Tao got his PhD before turning 22. As did Noam Elkies. (20-21, I think) There's also people who're starting much later than you. Educating yourself need not be a race. It'll only make things more painful than they have to be. Instead, maybe thinking of it as a marathon would be a good idea. It's hard but you should also try finding a suitable pace for you.

That's what I'm doing now and it takes a while...

I can understand your concerns about "brain drain" and falling behind your peers academically. It is important to continue learning and challenging yourself during the summer break. Your plan to do research in a potential major is a great way to keep your mind active and gain valuable experience. While it may not provide monetary compensation, the skills and knowledge you gain will be beneficial in the long run.

In terms of preparing for your engineering curriculum, I would suggest focusing on strengthening your math and problem-solving skills. Multivariable calculus and linear algebra are important foundations for engineering, so it would be helpful to review those topics. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with programming languages like MATLAB or Python can also be beneficial.

As for books, I recommend "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. These are commonly used textbooks in college courses and provide a thorough understanding of the subjects.

In terms of finding a summer job, it is never too late to continue searching. You can also consider internships or volunteer opportunities in your field of interest. These experiences not only provide valuable skills and knowledge, but also look impressive on a resume. Don't be discouraged if you can't find a traditional summer job, as there are many other ways to gain experience and contribute to your future success.

I wish you the best of luck in your summer plans and in your future academic endeavors. Remember, it's important to take breaks and recharge, but also to continue learning and challenging yourself. Keep a positive attitude and stay determined, and you will achieve your goals.

What is brain drain and why is it a concern?

Brain drain refers to the migration of highly skilled or educated individuals out of their home country to seek better opportunities or working conditions elsewhere. It is a concern because it can lead to a loss of talent and potential economic growth in the home country.

What are some factors that contribute to brain drain?

There are several factors that can contribute to brain drain, including political instability, lack of job opportunities, low salaries, limited access to resources and technology, and better quality of life in other countries.

How do summer jobs help prevent brain drain?

Summer jobs can provide valuable work experience and skills development for individuals in their home country, making them more competitive in the job market. This can help prevent brain drain by creating more opportunities for individuals to stay and thrive in their home country.

What advice do you have for individuals considering a summer job abroad?

Before making a decision to work abroad for the summer, it is important to thoroughly research the country and job opportunity. Consider the potential benefits and drawbacks, such as cultural differences, language barriers, and cost of living. It may also be helpful to consult with a mentor or advisor for guidance.

How can governments and organizations address brain drain?

Governments and organizations can address brain drain by investing in education and job creation in their home country, providing incentives for skilled individuals to stay, and creating policies that encourage the return of expatriates. Additionally, creating a supportive and competitive environment for businesses can help attract and retain talent.