Brain Teaser - How does 12=11?

• Thread starter bbarry9999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the conversation is discussing how 12 can be equal to 11 without any missing mathematical operators or using different bases. Some possible hints and solutions are mentioned, such as using base notation or counting with fingers. However, the conversation ends with the conclusion that the question is impossible or a waste of time.
bbarry9999
The following statement is true:

12=11

There are no mathematical operators (+, −, *, /), exponents, parentheses, etc. missing. How can 12 and 11 be equal?

Hint 1: The given is not false.

Hint 2: How did the first humans count?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Would your UserID be a hint? :)

[tex]{\log_{12}}^{11}=x[/tex]

Last edited:
is it one of two equals two of one?

HINT: Think 9. :)

I hope the solution is more clever than these:

- the left number is in base 9 notation, or

- the right number is in base 11, or

- the left number is in base-3 while the right one is in base-4, or

- keep changing numeric bases without telling anyone...

:tongue2:

From what everyone else has said, I feel my answer was a bit unsual..would it be more like [tex]{\log_a}^b+{\log_b}^c={\log_a}^c[/tex]?

The second hint makes me think of counting with my fingers. when you count to two, you can either say "one two" (12) or "one and one" (11). Is that it?

You may count spaces between your fingers, rather than the fingers themselves.
Doesn't make the number 12 equal to the number 11, though.

if the solution is simply changing bases then the problem is wrong because in math...you cannot write two bases without indicating one.

I would say that the first humans used their fingers to count from 1 to 10, and anything above that would be considered "a lot of damn numbers". In this sense, they would consider 12=11=many :-)

The real "answer" is probably having changed based without indicating it though (which is cheating since you said nothing is missing).

...and bbarry9999 chuckled as he walked away, never to return after posting an impossible riddle... :rolleyes:

Orefa said:
...and bbarry9999 chuckled as he walked away, never to return after posting an impossible riddle... :rolleyes:

I ignore One-Posters.

They are a waste of time.

Sometimes it can be an interesting discussion though, like that 1=0.999... thread. :grumpy:

12 is a name property.
11 is a name property.
the above two instances are properties of a common object.

1. How is it possible for 12 to equal 11?

The answer is that this is a brain teaser or puzzle that utilizes clever mathematical manipulation to make the numbers appear to be equal. It is not a literal equation.

2. What is the solution to the 12=11 brain teaser?

The solution is to use different mathematical operations on each side of the equation to make the numbers equal. For example, on the left side, you can multiply 12 by 1.2, and on the right side, you can divide 11 by 1.2. This results in 14.4=9.16, which are equal when rounded to the nearest whole number.

3. Why do some people struggle to solve the 12=11 brain teaser?

Some people may struggle to solve this brain teaser because they are not used to thinking outside of the box or using unconventional mathematical operations. It may also be challenging for those who are not familiar with basic algebraic principles.

4. Can you provide another solution to the 12=11 brain teaser?

Yes, there are multiple solutions to this brain teaser. Another solution is to subtract 1 from 12, making it 11, and then add 1 to 11, making it 12. This results in 11=12, which are technically equal.

5. How can solving brain teasers like 12=11 improve brain function?

Solving brain teasers like 12=11 can improve brain function by promoting critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and creativity. These types of puzzles also stimulate the brain and can help improve memory, concentration, and overall cognitive abilities.