Reading Legendre's Elements of Geometry

In summary, Legendre discusses proportions and states that by adding the antecedent of a proportion to the consequent and comparing the sum to the antecedent, one obtains a proportion equal to the original plus unity. However, this statement seems to be both clear and wrong. The example he gives does not support his statement, as the "unity" increase is not clear. Legendre later clarifies that by "primitive ratio" he means "irreducible ratio".
xwolfhunter
In discussing proportions (a topic to which I have not been properly exposed) Legendre states that, adding the antecedent of a proportion to the consequent, and comparing the sum to the antecedent, one obtains a proportion equal to the original plus unity. Legendre's book is apparently notoriously obscure, but this statement seems both clear enough and wrong, at first impression, though I suspect it's because I'm misinterpreting what he's referring to with his terms.

The example he gives is:
[tex]4:6::12:18\\
6+4:4::18+12:12\\
10:4::30:12[/tex]

When I was anticipating what would follow when I started reading this part of the text, I thought he would mean that given [itex]4:6[/itex] and obtaining [itex]4:10[/itex] one would have whatever the . . . comparator? . . . was in the first plus one in the second (1.5 in the first, 2.5 in the second, because there is one more antecedent in the consequent), but when he compared the sum to the antecedent ([itex]10:4[/itex]) I thought he meant that the "simplified value" of the ratio would be increased from 2/3 to 5/3, which is obviously not the case. The movement of the antecedent to consequent and the sum to the antecedent in both parties of the proportion obviously still results in a proportion, but where the "unity" increase is, is not clear to me, unless he means the former interpretation by inverse (which he did not state).

I suppose I should quote the original text here:
If to the consequent of a ratio we add the antecedent, and compare this sum with the antecedent, this last will be contained once more than it was in the first consequent; the new ratio then will be equal to the primitive ratio increased by unity.

Perhaps it's just that I don't have a clear enough idea of what the value of a ratio is. Any help elucidating the statement would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What he is saying is that if $$\frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}$$then $$\frac{a+b}{a}=\frac{c+d}{c}$$
and that $$\frac{a+b}{a}=1+\frac{b}{a}$$
(This last is probably what confuses: he is not referring to the original quotient with "primitive ratio".)

Samy_A said:
What he is saying is that if $$\frac{a}{b}=\frac{c}{d}$$then $$\frac{a+b}{a}=\frac{c+d}{c}$$
and that $$\frac{a+b}{a}=1+\frac{b}{a}$$
(This last is probably what confuses: he is not referring to the original quotient with "primitive ratio".)
Ahhhh, okay. So by "primitive" he means "irreducible", and that's what should have tipped me off. Right?

Thanks, now I can move on.

Man, I totally should have seen that. Disappointing.

What is Legendre's Elements of Geometry?

Legendre's Elements of Geometry is a textbook on geometry written by Adrien-Marie Legendre, a French mathematician, in the early 19th century. It is a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of Euclidean geometry, covering topics such as points, lines, angles, circles, and constructions.

Why is it important to study Legendre's Elements of Geometry?

Studying Legendre's Elements of Geometry allows one to understand the fundamental principles of Euclidean geometry, which is the basis for many mathematical concepts and applications. It also provides a solid foundation for further studies in advanced mathematics and geometry.

What are the main differences between Legendre's Elements of Geometry and Euclid's Elements?

Legendre's Elements of Geometry is based on Euclid's Elements, but it is written in a more modern and concise style. It also includes more detailed proofs and examples, as well as additional topics not covered in Euclid's work. Additionally, Legendre's Elements of Geometry introduced the concept of parallel postulates, which was not included in Euclid's work.

Who is Legendre and what were his contributions to mathematics?

Adrien-Marie Legendre was a French mathematician who made significant contributions to various fields of mathematics, including number theory, calculus, and geometry. In addition to his work on geometry, he is also known for his work on the famous Legendre's conjecture and the development of the Legendre polynomials.

Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand Legendre's Elements of Geometry?

While having a strong mathematical background can be helpful in understanding Legendre's Elements of Geometry, it is not necessary. The book is written in a clear and concise manner, with detailed explanations and examples, making it accessible to anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics.