1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brainstorming - entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to write an essay this year in my chemistry class on some topic related to applications of entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry. It has to be 5 pages long (double spaced), but i am struggling to find topics related to the area i must write in. Any thoughts or ideas about what i should write or where to look would be great. thanks pf.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2
    Charles Goodyear

4. Mar 20, 2014 #3
    Thank you chestermiller! any other ideas?

5. Mar 22, 2014 #4
    Splenda (Sucralose) and Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylates) both jump to mind. I have heard that each was discovered by accident while the researchers were looking to synthesize compounds for entirely different purposes. The commercial uses were then developed from those happy accidents.

6. Mar 22, 2014 #5
    Look at how some famous chemical companies started:
    Dupont
    Dow
    BASF
    Bayer
    Eastman

Or look at some famous inventions:
    Ammonia synthesis
    Nylon
    Makintosh raincoat
    Gun cotton
    Mauveine

7. Mar 23, 2014 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe they are looking for something a bit more 'now' than most of those examples from history? Trying to get you interested in the current thrust, vogue, cult or whatever of 'entrepreneurship', start ups etc. maybe you can find some local example?

8. Mar 24, 2014 #7
    That's what i have been trying to find epenguin! little more recent, but thank you yanick and paisiello2. really appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted