Brainstorming - entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry

In summary, entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry involves utilizing innovative ideas and discoveries to create successful businesses and products. Examples such as Splenda and Crazy Glue demonstrate how accidental discoveries can lead to commercial success. Additionally, looking at the origins of famous chemical companies and inventions can provide insight into the potential of entrepreneurship in chemistry. However, it is also important to consider more current examples and local opportunities in order to fully understand the impact of entrepreneurship in this field.
Sastronaut
entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry

Homework Statement

I have to write an essay this year in my chemistry class on some topic related to applications of entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry. It has to be 5 pages long (double spaced), but i am struggling to find topics related to the area i must write in. Any thoughts or ideas about what i should write or where to look would be great. thanks pf.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Goodyear

Likes 1 person
Thank you chestermiller! any other ideas?

Splenda (Sucralose) and Crazy Glue (cyanoacrylates) both jump to mind. I have heard that each was discovered by accident while the researchers were looking to synthesize compounds for entirely different purposes. The commercial uses were then developed from those happy accidents.

Likes 1 person
Look at how some famous chemical companies started:
Dupont
Dow
BASF
Bayer
Eastman

Or look at some famous inventions:
Ammonia synthesis
Nylon
Makintosh raincoat
Gun cotton
Mauveine

Likes 1 person
Maybe they are looking for something a bit more 'now' than most of those examples from history? Trying to get you interested in the current thrust, vogue, cult or whatever of 'entrepreneurship', start ups etc. maybe you can find some local example?

Likes 1 person
That's what i have been trying to find epenguin! little more recent, but thank you yanick and paisiello2. really appreciate it!

1. What is brainstorming in the context of entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry?

Brainstorming is a creative problem-solving technique that involves generating a large number of ideas and solutions in a short period of time. In the context of entrepreneurship in the field of chemistry, brainstorming can be used to generate new business ideas, develop innovative products or services, and solve challenges related to starting and growing a chemistry-based business.

2. How can brainstorming benefit entrepreneurs in the field of chemistry?

Brainstorming can benefit entrepreneurs in the field of chemistry in several ways. It can help them generate new and innovative ideas, identify potential opportunities and challenges, and come up with creative solutions to problems. Additionally, brainstorming can also foster collaboration and teamwork among entrepreneurs, leading to a more diverse and robust set of ideas.

3. What are some effective techniques for brainstorming in the field of chemistry?

Some effective techniques for brainstorming in the field of chemistry include free association, mind mapping, SWOT analysis, and role-playing. Free association involves quickly listing out all ideas, no matter how unconventional or seemingly unrelated they may be. Mind mapping is a visual technique that involves creating a diagram to connect and organize ideas. SWOT analysis helps identify strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats related to a business idea. Role-playing involves acting out different scenarios and perspectives to generate new ideas and solutions.

4. How can entrepreneurs ensure a successful brainstorming session in the field of chemistry?

To ensure a successful brainstorming session in the field of chemistry, entrepreneurs should create a comfortable and open-minded environment, establish clear objectives and goals, and encourage all participants to actively contribute ideas without judgment. It is also helpful to have a facilitator to guide the session and keep it focused. Taking breaks and using different brainstorming techniques can also help keep the session productive and engaging.

5. Can brainstorming be used for problem-solving in established chemistry businesses?

Yes, brainstorming can be used for problem-solving in established chemistry businesses. It can help identify and overcome challenges, come up with new and innovative solutions, and foster a culture of creativity and innovation within the company. It can also be used to improve processes, products, and services, leading to increased efficiency and growth.