1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Brainstorming for a new physics/engineering project

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    Hello!

I find that a very good way to relax is to work on some side project when I get too stressed out or need to debug. For the past few months my project has been a Tesla Coil - but now that it is complete I need a new project! I am most interested in building something that results in instant gratification (obviously), so the first thing that comes to mind is a small coilgun or possibly a railgun. The technical challenges that would arise from both of these projects are quite cumbersome - one in particular is money. I would prefer to not go over a few hundred dollars, and I have a feeling that the capacitor banks required for both the aforementioned guns will surpass this budget (among the other necessary components). I am pretty good at electrical engineering stuff, although I am not as savvy at computer engineering as I wish (programming protoboards is easy though). One thing I've always wanted to mess with are those Nixie Tubes - maybe I could turn a set into a clock or something.

Clearly, the usefulness of whatever I end up making will be questionable; I am just looking for something to help occupy the time. I have searched old threads and have found some ideas, however my plan is to make this a little more than a "Science Fair Project," and as such I need to think outside these constraints. Nonetheless, I will continue searching both inside PF and out, however I just wanted to drop a line in here to see if anybody had any suggestions.

Cheers,
    IHateMayonnaise

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    What was your motive behind building a Tesla Coil? Did you want to build a Tesla Coil simply to see a display of its remarkable effects? How long did it take you to complete your Tesla Coil Project.

5. May 11, 2008 #4
    Well, I wanted to build one because 1) it was cool (obviously), and 2) due to the technical challenges that would arise during its construction. It was a really fun project because it forced me to become extremely creative and crafty - i.e. figuring out how to build the thing with limited resources. This was my original motivation; however I ended up finishing the coil as an extra credit project for my E&M course.

I originally decided to build the coil in the spring of 07, about a year ago. Between then and september I only managed to locate the capacitors and transformer, and in the following months I managed to mount the primary coil to my ghetto-rigged table thing and also wind the secondary. Between the beginning of the spring semester of 08 and a few weeks ago I finished everything else. Honestly, I could have probably finished the project in just a few months, however my schedule is busy with school, internships, jobs, and various social activities, so it took me a while. Nonetheless, I had fun at every stage of the project, it even relaxed me to work on it. So, now I need something else! (Thanks for the reply, by the way)

IHateMayonnaise

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?