Brainstorming - New category of awards?

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating awards for users and students on the site, specifically for the best questions in each subfield. It also mentions the lack of threads that meet certain criteria and suggests encouraging students to share their solutions on the site.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I thought I saw a post or message or something somewhere recently saying that nominations for awards in 2010 were open.

Now I can't find it, did I imagine it?

Anyway I was wondering this. AFAIK these awards do not cost the site anything, are just a recognition to helpers etc.

So what about an award to the users? The students? For the best question. Maybe for each subfield. 'Best' being the most thought-provoking or instructive, leading to the most interesting discussion or things the helpers hadn't quite realized? Sure the student may have no merit and may have hit on something by chance, but what does that matter? - scientific discovery can be like that too. Receiving a surprise award they didn't know about could be an encouragement for some.

Discuss.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, I had missed that.

There are not very many threads that measure up to Astronuc's criteria unfortunately. There are some with a good start and middle but no end. When they say ah thank you, I see it now! - you wonder what they have seen. Since they will usually have to write it up for an assignment etc. I wonder (have said before) if they should be encouraged in the guidelines to give their solutions here because there will often enough be more to be said, and anyway it is a bit of a let-down for the thing not to be concluded here. I don't think we want any thanks but to know whether we too have done the job.

1. What is brainstorming and why is it important for creating a new category of awards?

Brainstorming is a creative problem-solving technique in which a group of individuals generate a large quantity of ideas to address a specific issue or problem. It is important for creating a new category of awards because it allows for a diverse range of ideas to be generated and evaluated, leading to the selection of the most innovative and effective solution.

2. How does the brainstorming process work?

The brainstorming process typically involves a group of individuals coming together to share their ideas in a non-judgmental environment. The facilitator encourages all participants to contribute as many ideas as possible, without any criticism or evaluation. Once all ideas have been shared, they are evaluated and refined to select the best ones for the new category of awards.

3. What are the benefits of using brainstorming for creating a new category of awards?

One of the main benefits of using brainstorming for creating a new category of awards is the diversity of ideas that can be generated. It also allows for a collaborative approach, which can lead to increased creativity and innovation. Additionally, brainstorming can help to identify potential challenges and solutions, leading to a more thorough and effective category of awards.

4. How can brainstorming be used to ensure a fair and unbiased selection of award winners?

Brainstorming can be used to ensure a fair and unbiased selection of award winners by involving a diverse group of individuals in the process. This can include people from different backgrounds, perspectives, and expertise levels. Additionally, the brainstorming process itself encourages the evaluation and refinement of ideas, leading to a more fair and thorough selection of award winners.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using brainstorming for creating a new category of awards?

While brainstorming can be a highly effective technique for generating ideas, it may also have some drawbacks. These can include the potential for dominant individuals to overshadow quieter voices, leading to a lack of diversity in ideas. Additionally, the brainstorming process can be time-consuming and may require additional resources to implement effectively.