1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Branching ratio of particle question

1. Jun 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The J/Ψ has mass 3097 MeV, width 87 keV and equal branching ratios of 6%
    to e+e− and µ+µ− final states. What would you expect for these branching
    ratios if the J/Ψ decayed only electromagnetically? What does this tell you
    about the “strength” of the strong interaction in this decay?

2. Relevant equations
    Branching function = Width/Sum of all Widths

Don't know whether this will be useful or not but:

Lifetime of u = 2.2*10-6
    Mass of u = 106MeV/c2
    3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know what to do, I don't understand branching functions that well and I'm not even sure if the question requires me to calculate anything, i'm confused.

I know that strong forces dominate and that the average lifetime for strong interactions is ~10-24seconds whilst EM ~ 10-18.

This isn't homework really, this is just revision for an examination I have tomorrow. If somebody could just explain this briefly, that would help immensely.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not sure (hopefully someone else jumps in if I am wrong), but if hadrons are excluded, then only 50/50 e+e- / mu+/mu- remains, isn't it ?

Get some rest, much better than last-minute worries for an examination :approve:!

12% leptons vs 88% hadrons is already very high because hadronic decay is heavily suppressed. See wikipedia and particle data group page 2 and this link which illustrates this OZI suppression.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted