'Brand's: essence of chicken' and 'Brand's: bird nest'

• Thread starter Chitose
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, Chitose wonder chick here again.

In my country, there are two popular healthy beverage call 'Brand's: essence of chicken' and 'Brand's: bird nest'

In tv. they show that there two beverage has amazing effect to both brain and body, and they are VERY expensive. (especially bird nest, it's EXTREMELY Expensive)

- Essence of chicken, improve power of brain, good for collage student who need for heavy study, and businessman who do the brain's work.

- Bird nest, improve internal function of entire body, help refreshing brain, bla bla bla....

So...

Are 'Chicken essence' and 'Bird nest' REALLY That good??

Is there are any science explanation for these product? does it have a lot of rare Nutrient?

English is not my native language, Sorry if I'm wrong in gamma or spelling.

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Unless there's some trustworthy sourse describing what is so great about these products, it should be assumed that it is entirely a marketing ploy. Product manufacturers are free to make whatever claims they want about their products if they don't get specific.

Red Bull has used this to spectacular effect, making plain old caffeine like it is the new discovery of the century.

i think it's pretty silly. but, in leaner times, a concentrated chicken soup may have been just the thing to alleviate deficiency symptoms in a starving man.

I can not think that it is any better then making your own chicken/veggie broth. I agree with Dave, its just marketing, save your money.

It's expensive because of the birds nest. I was in Korea for a time and that stuff was all the rage during my stay. It's insanely expensive (Tastes ok enough). I highly doubt any of the brands claims though. (yes I know it's not a Korean food)

Looks like there is some legitimate research on the topic, but I couldn't find anything regarding any "health" benefits. Just mentions that they are "believed to have..." and so on.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/0960-3115/

Last edited:
I can not think that it is any better then making your own chicken/veggie broth. I agree with Dave, its just marketing, save your money.
Oh... and add ONION. Lot's of onion. Yum. And I know some people that swear about the benefits of onion, but I just think it tastes good, particularly floating around in a yummy broth.

I also (as an aside -- like QuarkCharmer mentions) note that "bird's nest" is probably made from the saliva-based nests of certain birds (some species of swifts). That might bug you, or it might not... I mean heck, if you're already eating some birds (chickens), who cares about eating some other birds' saliva-based nests (unless you care about the "innocent" baby birds that might get pitched out -- if their babiness makes them more innocent than any older birds or cickens you might consume). I don't know if any of them are endangered (it's probably been since the 80's since I read the "National Geographic" article on harvesting these nests), but you might want to look into it if you care about that environmental issue (which you might not).

Probably the best thing you can do is have a VARIED diet. No one thing is "magical" for overall health (and probably for any complex organ in the human body).