Bravais lattice from lattice points

GeologistInDisguise
Homework Statement
Given the orthorhombic unit cell, what is the bravais lattice?

Two atoms of the same kind per unit cell located at 0 1/2 0, 1/2 0 1/2
Relevant Equations
face centering translations: ½ ½ 0 and ½ 0 ½ and 0 ½ ½
body centering translations: ½ ½ ½
base centering translations ½ ½ 0 or ½ 0 ½ or 0 ½ ½
I am confused on how to use these translations to tell what type of unit cell I have. I know that this is not a face centered unit cell because you need 4 total atoms and I only have two. From what I understand, to apply a body centering translation you add or subtract it from the lattice point. From there I am lost. Applying the body centering translation to the first atom results in 1/2 1 1/2. What does this mean? What would it look like if it were body centered? I can't find many examples of this online, and the book I am using does not really provide any examples.

1. What is a Bravais lattice?

A Bravais lattice is a mathematical concept used to describe the arrangement of lattice points in a crystal lattice. It is a repeating pattern of points in three-dimensional space that represents the basic unit cell of a crystal.

2. How are Bravais lattices classified?

Bravais lattices are classified into 14 different types based on their symmetry properties. These include 7 primitive lattices and 7 non-primitive lattices.

3. What are lattice points?

Lattice points are the points in a crystal lattice where atoms, molecules, or ions are located. They are represented by the corners of the unit cell and are used to describe the arrangement of particles in a crystal.

4. What is the relationship between Bravais lattices and crystal structures?

Bravais lattices are the building blocks of crystal structures. They provide a framework for describing the arrangement of atoms, molecules, or ions in a crystal, which ultimately determines the physical and chemical properties of the material.

5. How are Bravais lattices used in materials science?

Bravais lattices are used in materials science to classify and describe the structure of various materials, such as metals, ceramics, and polymers. They also help in understanding the properties and behavior of these materials, which is essential for designing new materials with specific properties.