Brave Ordinary People Who Changed the World

  • Thread starter Thread starter rootX
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 6K views
Richard Dawkins.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really have any heroes. The way I see it, people do things for one of two reasons:

-They either have to do it
or
-They enjoy doing it.

Either way, it seems stupid to look up to someone who's doing what they have to do and why would I look up to someone who was just doing something they enjoy doing?

Besides, if I looked up to someone I'd have to spend time trying to be them and why would I want to be them when I can be me?
 
Cyrus said:
What did Kurt Cobain stand for?

Ok, not necessarily what he stood for what he went through growing up, etc, I see parallels.
 
SticksandStones said:
-They either have to do it
or
-They enjoy doing it.

Here's what I think. ...
Most of the people I mentioned didn't have good lives (So, I don't think they really enjoyed their lives). And, they weren't forced into what they did. They rather made a distinction between right and wrong and screwed their lives for making this society better. They had guts (see China man) to stand against what is wrong and that's what made them hero (better than good people - now good people can easily stand for the right because of those heroes - see Tribdog quote above.) And because of them, we are living in better society (See Obama who is very talented but couldn't have made to presidential election if some people hadn't fought for the equal rights. Now it is so easy for good people to stand against racism.).