Bread-Even Analysis: Solving for t

• Thread starter duki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, Bread-Even Analysis is a financial tool used to determine the point at which a company's revenue equals its expenses, resulting in a net profit of zero. It is calculated by dividing fixed costs by the difference between the selling price and variable cost per unit. The main purpose of Bread-Even Analysis is to help businesses make informed decisions by understanding the relationship between costs, revenues, and profits. However, it has limitations such as assuming constant sales mix and fixed costs, and not considering external factors. It can be used in decision-making by providing information on the minimum number of units needed to cover costs and make a profit, as well as comparing pricing strategies for maximum profitability.
duki
Hey guys, here's the problem and what I've got so far.

A contractor purchases a piece of equipment for $36500 that costs an average of $9.25 per hour for fuel and maintenance. The equipment operator is paid $13.50 per hour, and customers are charged $30 per hour.

(a) Write an equation for the cost C of operating this equipment for t hours
(b) Write an equation for the revenue R derived from t hours of use
(c) Find the break-even point for this equipment by finding the time at which R = C

What I've got:

(a)
[tex] C = 22.75(t)+36500[/tex]

(b)
[tex]R=30(t)+36500[/tex]

(c - worked out)
[tex]0 = -7.25(t) + 36500[/tex]
[tex]5034.48 = t[/tex]
does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
duki said:
Hey guys, here's the problem and what I've got so far.

A contractor purchases a piece of equipment for $36500 that costs an average of $9.25 per hour for fuel and maintenance. The equipment operator is paid $13.50 per hour, and customers are charged $30 per hour.

(a) Write an equation for the cost C of operating this equipment for t hours
(b) Write an equation for the revenue R derived from t hours of use
(c) Find the break-even point for this equipment by finding the time at which R = C

What I've got:

(a)
[tex] C = 22.75(t)+36500[/tex]
Yes, that's good. For a moment I didn't reconize that the "22.75" includes both fuel and maintenance and the operator!

(b)
[tex]R=30(t)+36500[/tex]
No! The cost of the equipment is not Revenue. R= 30 t. Was that a typo? You don't use it in C.

(c - worked out)
[tex]0 = -7.25(t) + 36500[/tex]
[tex]5034.48 = t[/tex]
does this look right?
I would recommend showing a little more work. "Break even" occurs when revenue= cost: 30 t= 22.75 t+ 36500. Subtracting 22.75 t from both sides,
7.25 t= 36500 so t= 36500/7.25= 5034.48.

The break even point will occur after 5034.48 hours of use. The "units", hours, is an important part of the answer: not just "503448"!

Showing, and explaining, every detail, as well as specifically answering the question with a full sentence will shock and amaze your teacher!

(I did wonder what "Bread Even Analysis" was. Determining whether you have enough sandwiches to go around?)

Last edited by a moderator:
(I did wonder what "Bread Even Analysis" was. Determining whether you have enough sandwiches to go around?)

ha! I tried to fix it but couldn't

R= 30 t. Was that a typo? You don't use it in C.

So the answer should have been [tex]R=30t[/tex] instead? Or did I miss something you said..

On the last part, I did get the right answer but I just need to show more work, correct?

duki said:
So the answer should have been [tex]R=30t[/tex] instead? Or did I miss something you said..
Yes, that was what I said.

On the last part, I did get the right answer but I just need to show more work, correct?
Yes. Of course, your teacher might not require that, but it is always good practice- if nothing else, it helps you organize your thoughts.

Related to Bread-Even Analysis: Solving for t

What is Bread-Even Analysis?

Bread-Even Analysis is a financial tool used to determine the point at which a company's revenue equals its expenses, resulting in a net profit of zero. It is often used to make important business decisions, such as determining the pricing of products or services.

How is Bread-Even Analysis calculated?

Bread-Even Analysis is calculated by dividing a company's fixed costs by the difference between the selling price of the product and the variable cost per unit. The resulting number is the number of units that must be sold in order to break even.

What is the purpose of Bread-Even Analysis?

The main purpose of Bread-Even Analysis is to help businesses make informed decisions by providing a clear understanding of the relationship between costs, revenues, and profits. It can also be used to set sales targets and evaluate the financial feasibility of a new product or service.

What are the limitations of Bread-Even Analysis?

While Bread-Even Analysis can be a useful tool, it has its limitations. It assumes that the sales mix and fixed costs will remain constant, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account external factors such as changes in the market or competition.

How can Bread-Even Analysis be used in decision-making?

Bread-Even Analysis can be used in decision-making by providing important information on the minimum number of units that need to be sold in order to cover costs and make a profit. It can also be used to compare different pricing strategies and determine the most profitable option for the company.