1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Break down CaCO3 into its constituents

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

in order for a well to supply 4.5 million litres of drinking water per day, at a minimum total hardness of 60mg l-1 as Ca, calculate the daily throughput of the reverse osmosis plant assuming that 30% of the feed to the plant comes out as reject.

2. Relevant equations

a table provides the following info:
    total hardness (as mgl-1 CaCO3) at feed is 660 but at permeate it is 4

3. The attempt at a solution

i suspect i must break down CaCO3 into its constituents however i cant remember how to do this. Iwould be very grateful for a pointer in the right direction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2
    guys im only a newbie to both the sciences and this great website, im not looking for an exact answer but just a clue of how to tackle this question. if any further questions is needed please reply, i really am going off my head trying to get over this mental block im having.
  4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    Perhaps you should post this under the "Other Sciences" sub-forum, also under Homework & Coursework Questions
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?