Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Breaking 10 second barrier too difficult for Whites, Asians and East Africans

1. Aug 17, 2009 #1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-second_barrier

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2009 #2
    I think the biggest racial disparity would be in swimming. And hockey if that counts.

4. Aug 17, 2009 #3
    The competition between people of different races is greater in the 100 meters sprint than in swimming or hockey. Anyone with a talent for running fast has a reasonable chance of making it to the top. The sprint is an easy to practice sport and training for it is not difficult, it odesn't require expensive facilities.

In case of swimming, it is a different story. E.g. even Michael Phelps only was found to have a talent for competitive swimming by accident. Then, the fact that he is an American instead of an European makes a huge difference because in Europe, compulsory and inflexible school hours will be a obstacle for training. An African Michael Phelps typically won't ever come near to a swimming pool.

5. Aug 17, 2009 #4
    How about soccer? It's a big sport in Africa. Doesn't cost much to kick a ball around. But globally, they have the worst soccer teams.

6. Aug 17, 2009 #5
    That's actually also true for the 100 meters sprint. E.g., Bolt is from Jamaica, not West Africa. But his ancestors are from West Africa. Presumably the sport facilities in countries like Gambia are just too poor and the one in a million supertalent will almost always be that poor kid who has no chance of achieving anything in his life. In Jamaica the situation is presumably a bit better, good enough for the supertalents to be recognized and make it to the top.

In case of soccer, there are talented Africans who play for European teams.

7. Aug 17, 2009 #6
    That's probably what's happening. All the good players are being exported.

8. Aug 17, 2009 #7
    Call me a racist if it makes you feel better - black people run faster than white people.

9. Aug 17, 2009 #8
    And white people swim faster.

10. Aug 17, 2009 #9
    It is not some kind of competition .... but OP could have done a better job in appreciating this fact rather than making racial comparisons.

The article was interesting but I think it might be due to cultural indifference rather than racial.

11. Aug 17, 2009 #10

I think that there is overwhelming evidence that race is an important factor in sports, and that evidence comes from track and field because of the huge participation and not from swimming. I'm not saying that whites would not turn out to be better swimmers than other people, just that we can't yet tell yet.

There is another piece of evidence that supports this. It is the fact that the while people from West Africans descent who turn out to be the sprint talents, come from different countries, e.g. the US, Jamaica, Britain etc. etc.

If you were to follow the British kids who compete in the sprint, you see kids from many different ethnic backgrounds. There are kids who are originally British, there are kids whose parents are from Pakistan, from India, from Bangladesh, from the West Indies, etc. etc. But after some years, you would see that the British champion would be one of the kids from the West Indies, and not just any such kid, but someone whose ancestors are from West Africa (and not from India; a fraction of the people in the West Indies descent from people who came from India a few centuries ago).

12. Aug 17, 2009 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was talking with a coworker about this a little while ago. He's black, and is a good swimmer. I asked him why there are so few blacks on swim teams. He said that the biggest reason is hair styles. They can take a lot of time and money (straightening, braiding, etc.), and swimming totally ruins them.

So there may be reasons for this observation that have nothing to do with actual swimming ability.

13. Aug 17, 2009 #12
    There are better ways to point that out than making people from other races feel inferior in that area:
    One relevant thing I noticed that I can make statements like that against minority and I would be racist. But, making against majority are considered as a part of making society more multicultural. :rofl:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  14. Aug 17, 2009 #13
    I think participation is the key. Track is a very old and popular sport. Nearly every able-bodied child competes in a foot race at some point in their lives. The faster a child runs, the longer they compete and stay interested.

Swimming is different. If you visit a pool or a beach, most people splash around and play - very few are racing. Competitive swimming takes years to master. The same is true of hockey, which was mentioned earlier.

15. Aug 17, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Supposedly to do with average muscle mass, the same thing that makes you a good 100m sprinter makes you sink.

Jamaica (like Australia) has a long tradition of doing very well in sports, so promising youngsters are likely to be notice in schools and there are a lot of good coaches.

16. Aug 17, 2009 #15
    Are you saying white people are fat?:rofl:

17. Aug 17, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fat is buoyant...like a built-in life vest :biggrin:.

18. Aug 17, 2009 #17
    And know how to play hockey.

19. Aug 17, 2009 #18
    Hair styles. Talk about priorities. Hair styles.

Think about it...

20. Aug 17, 2009 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well let's look at it this way. It's a fact that *most* Americans can't play hockey, and those who can usually come from the Northern states like Minnesota, where it's more a more popular sport. The population density of black Americans is small in Northern states...well then, it's no surprise that there aren't a lot of blacks playing hockey in America.

Just as an observation - I don't see a big difference in body types between hockey players and, say, boxers. Both sports favor big, strong bodies that are quick.

21. Aug 17, 2009 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How often do you swim?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook