Brewer needs lesson in thermodynamics.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help designing a brew kettle for a new brewery. The person mentions the dimensions of the tank and their plan to use a 400k btu forced air burner for heating. They also mention the need for baffles to improve heating efficiency and provide a link to a forum post for reference.
Birdboybrewing
I'm starting a brewery and need some help designing a brew kettle. I haven't found much in the brewing community about how a brew kettles firebox is laid out. I've got a tank that is 45" wide and 48" tall and I'm planning on heating it with a 400k btu forced air burner, basically like a small jet engine. But in order to heat efficiently I'm thinking it needs some baffles between where the gas is blown in and the exhaust. I'll include a sketch of the kettle, but i need help laying out the best possible gas flow pattern for efficiently heating the thing, please help me. Here's a good forum post on it, but doesn't help me much. http://discussions.probrewer.com/showthread.php?18370-Brew-Kettle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 437
Engineering news on Phys.org
The fire box is the area under the kettle sorry it's not labeled very well in the sketch.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It deals with the transfer of energy and its effects on physical systems.

2. How does thermodynamics relate to brewing?

In brewing, thermodynamics plays a crucial role in the process of converting starches from malted grains into sugar, which is then fermented into alcohol. It also affects the efficiency of heating and cooling processes during brewing.

3. What are the key principles of thermodynamics?

The key principles of thermodynamics include the conservation of energy, the transfer and conversion of energy, and the increase of entropy (disorder) in a closed system.

4. Can you give an example of thermodynamics in brewing?

One example of thermodynamics in brewing is the use of heat to convert starches in malted grains into sugar during the mashing process. This requires precise control of temperature and time to achieve optimal results.

5. Why is understanding thermodynamics important for brewers?

Understanding thermodynamics is important for brewers because it allows them to optimize their brewing process and achieve consistent results. It also helps them troubleshoot any issues that may arise and make adjustments to improve the quality of their beer.