Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bride's bouquet brings down plane

1. Jul 14, 2009 #1

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8149910.stm

Perhaps they needed a plane with bomb bay doors?

Another dividend from the Law of Unintended Consequences.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2009 #2

JaredJames

Gold Member

True, but then again, you don't jump out of the front of a twin engine aircraft when you parachute for exactly this reason, so why would this be any different? It's bad enough the couple (or other bystanders) didn't consider it, but it's f****** ridiculous the pilot didn't. It's like deliberatly flying through a flock of birds.

Completely self inflicted, no sympathy from me on this one. (I'm a strong believer in the Darwin Awards and if I did end up 'taking myself out' I would hope it to be worthy of one! This seems like a case for a 'Living' Darwin Award.).

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The need people feel for more elaborate ways to impress people has gotten out of hand.

Can I add to ridiculous news stories?

So, he got drunk and for some reason ended up in in a dumpster.

Of course the dumpster workers union wants more work for their people

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8149151.stm

Yes, there is such a high incidence of people killed daily because they are not flushed out of dumpsters.

5. Jul 14, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I couldn't agree more on that. And, I also agree that it's ridiculous the pilot didn't realize the hazard of this plan. AND, even if the bouquet didn't get sucked into the engine, can you imagine what it would be like to be one of the guests on the ground thinking they were going to catch this bouquet being hurled at them at the speed of the aircraft? Can anyone here give a guesstimate of what the speed would have been even if the plane slowed down as much as possible before releasing the bouquet?

What? Don't you watch CSI or Law and Order? Don't you realize there are constantly bodies being dumped into dumpsters? They better find them to preserve the evidence, of course! :rofl:

6. Jul 14, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I can't imagine it would be flying too quickly (the bouquet). I can't exactly say I've held my fair share of bouquets but I imagine they aren't exactly the most aerodynamic objects and would slow down considerably falling out of an airplane.

7. Jul 14, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Depending on the cross sectional area of the bouquet and the amount of lace frills and ribbons adding drag, I'd guess the terminal velocity of a bridal bouquet at something less than a Tim Wakefield change-up, or maybe about 60 - 70 mph.

Dropping rice (not in a bag of course) might be more fun, because it would probably be more like twice that and sting like air pellets when it hit the guests.

8. Jul 14, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really hope the florist removed the thorns from the roses!

Usually the ones for throwing are a smaller, more compact, and more aerodynamic version of a bouquet than the one the bride actually carries (apparently, brides like the tradition of pelting their friends with bouquets and watching them all tackle each other to get it, but don't really want to give away their own bouquet for it).

9. Jul 14, 2009 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When I read that, my first thought was "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook