1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Block sliding down an inclined plane

1. Jun 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A block takes 3 times as long to slide down an inclined plane that makes an angle of 30 degrees as it does to fall freely through the same vertical distance. Determine the coefficient of friction.

2. Relevant equations

F=μN

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2014 #2
    Now throw in some kinematic equations.

4. Jun 8, 2014 #3
    vf=vi+at
    vf^2=vi^2+2as
    d=vit+.5at^2

Now how do i solve this problem

5. Jun 8, 2014 #4
    Now Newton's second and free body diagram. Also ignore air friction.

6. Jun 8, 2014 #5

Nathanael

Homework Helper

How long does it take a block to fall a distance x freely?

How long does it take a block to slide a distance y down a 30 degree slope? (With friction)

What should the distance y be to make the vertical distance equal to x?

What does the coefficient of static friction need to be to make the time take 3 times as long on the slope?

7. Jun 8, 2014 #6

Nathanael

Homework Helper

The problem you asked can be a bit tricky. Try solving this problem first:
    (You should be able to solve this problem before you can solve the one you asked:)

How many times longer does it take a block to move a vertical distance down while sliding down a frictionless inclined plane that makes an angle of 30 degrees (with the horizontal) than it takes to move the same vertical distance when falling freely?

(I don't know if I worded that question clearly, but it's basically the same problem except I told you that the coefficient of friction is zero, and I am asking you how many times longer does it take)

8. Jun 17, 2014 #7
    Seahawks - have you made an attempt at this problem?

9. Jun 17, 2014 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook