Block sliding down an inclined plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block sliding down an inclined plane with friction and how long it takes for the block to slide down compared to falling freely. The problem also introduces kinematic equations, Newton's second law, and free body diagrams. The conversation concludes by posing a similar problem with a different scenario and asking for an attempt at a solution.
Seahawks

Homework Statement

A block takes 3 times as long to slide down an inclined plane that makes an angle of 30 degrees as it does to fall freely through the same vertical distance. Determine the coefficient of friction.

Homework Equations

F=μN

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now throw in some kinematic equations.

vf=vi+at
vf^2=vi^2+2as
d=vit+.5at^2

Now how do i solve this problem

Now Newton's second and free body diagram. Also ignore air friction.

How long does it take a block to fall a distance x freely?

How long does it take a block to slide a distance y down a 30 degree slope? (With friction)

What should the distance y be to make the vertical distance equal to x?

What does the coefficient of static friction need to be to make the time take 3 times as long on the slope?

The problem you asked can be a bit tricky. Try solving this problem first:
(You should be able to solve this problem before you can solve the one you asked:)

How many times longer does it take a block to move a vertical distance down while sliding down a frictionless inclined plane that makes an angle of 30 degrees (with the horizontal) than it takes to move the same vertical distance when falling freely?

(I don't know if I worded that question clearly, but it's basically the same problem except I told you that the coefficient of friction is zero, and I am asking you how many times longer does it take)

Seahawks - have you made an attempt at this problem?

Thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

1. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the block?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the block will slide down due to the increased force of gravity pulling it down.

2. What is the relationship between the weight of the block and its acceleration down the inclined plane?

The weight of the block, or its mass, plays a role in determining its acceleration down the inclined plane. The greater the weight, the greater the force of gravity pulling the block down, resulting in a faster acceleration.

3. Can the block ever come to a complete stop on the inclined plane?

Yes, if the angle of the inclined plane is shallow enough and there is enough friction between the block and the surface of the plane, the block can come to a complete stop at some point along its descent.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the motion of the block?

The coefficient of friction, which describes the roughness of the surfaces in contact, affects the amount of resistance the block experiences while sliding down the inclined plane. The higher the coefficient of friction, the slower the block will slide down the plane.

5. How does the length of the inclined plane affect the motion of the block?

The length of the inclined plane does not directly affect the motion of the block. However, a longer inclined plane will result in a longer distance for the block to travel, which can impact the time it takes for the block to reach the bottom of the plane.