Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bucket list - things to do, places to go/see

1. Feb 28, 2015 #1

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Taj Mahal

4. Feb 28, 2015 #3
    I've never seen the northern lights (when I was at a ski resort in Sweden once, my friends told me they had seen an amazing display of northern lights in the late evening, while I was at home sleeping :frown:).

Norway is a beautiful country, but expensive. There is some nice scenery in Oslo, but the most interesting thing to me are the Norwegian fjords, which I have heard are incredibly beautiful. Regretfully, I have not visited any (yet).

5. Feb 28, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

We've gone to NZ and various places in Asia so maybe Australia is next.

6. Feb 28, 2015 #5
    Norway, Ithaca and other parts of Greece, Hokkaido and the Brocken Spectre.

7. Feb 28, 2015 #6
    Moscow to Ulanbataar on Trans-Siberian Railway

8. Feb 28, 2015 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I heard today that the train ride from Interlaken to Montreux is spectacular, or Zurich to Interlaken, Interlaken to Montreux, Montreux to Zermatt, Zermatt to Chur, Chur to Lugano and Lugano to Zurich.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/ultimateswissscenictrains

Other SwissRail trips - http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/sampleitineraries/ultimateswissscenictrains

That could be somewhat difficult these days.

Ulanbataar is on my list of places to visit.

9. Mar 1, 2015 #8

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

China, Japan, South America, Africa, and Antartica. With respect to Astronuc's OP, Alaska is one of four U.S. states that I have not visited yet. A Denali visit is also on my list when I go.

Almost forgot: Norway. I have my eye on a cruise up the coast to the fiords all the way to Svalbard.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  10. Mar 1, 2015 #9

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We took one of those through St. Moritz in 2000. Very beautiful and scenic train ride to Zermatt. From Zermatt, I managed to catch this picture from the funicular on the way to Gornergrat which is across from the Matterhorn.

Matterhorn.jpg

Gornergrat also has an active observatory.

Matterhorn and Observatory.JPG

11. Mar 1, 2015 #10
    Switzerland is very beautiful, but also expensive...:smile: I've been to St. Moritz, it's lovely. The French, Italian and of course the Austrian Alps are also very nice, I've been skiing a lot in the Alps.

12. Mar 1, 2015 #11

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

St. Moritz in the morning. :smile:

St. Moritz AM.JPG

13. Mar 1, 2015 #12
    :kiss:

I just came to think about a place in Europe I simply have to mention. If Astronuc or anyone else here is interested in old and/or beautiful places, it would be a crime if I did not mention

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

It features a remarkably large medieval old town, which, when I visited it, made me feel somewhat like I entered into another age of history for real. I like Rothenburg SO much, I've been there a couple of times, this is what it looks like:

640px-Rothenburg_BW_4.JPG

Heidelberg is also pretty close, also a nice place.

Two other places I like to mention is Trier, a historical gem, and Cochem, also very beautiful:

640px-BurgCochem1900.jpg

14. Mar 1, 2015 #13

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Getting back on topic. I use TripAdvisor to track the places that I've been and where I want to go. There is also a section for planning out trips in detail. This is my TA map (legend is on the top right).

TravelMap.jpg

15. Mar 1, 2015 #14

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've been there, and walked that street! I did a seminar there for various European utilities, and the mayor welcomed us. We drank beer from a huge vessel that we passed around to everyone, then we had a nice dinner. I loved the views of the Tauber. As I remember, there is an ancient Roman aqueduct below the town.

I did another seminar in Heidelberg. There is a neat restaurant where the owner owns a number of old instruments from centuries ago. During dinner, the owner played several of the instruments while telling us about the history of the instrument and some of the history of Heidelberg and Germany.

I passed through Trier in 1979 on a trip with my father when we drove along the Moselle. I'd like to go back to visit some of the historic sites.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  16. Mar 1, 2015 #15
    How so?

17. Mar 1, 2015 #16

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm just thinking about the sour relationship between Russia and US these days. It would certainly be an interesting trip, and one I'd like to do myself. I'd like to go to the Altai region, and the mountains along the borders with Kazakhstan and Mongolia.

18. Mar 1, 2015 #17
    Can't be worse than some other places I've been :D

19. Mar 1, 2015 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perry Lake is 2 miles from my home.

20. Mar 3, 2015 #19

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Everglades Park canoe trails..

I recommend West Lake-Longlake-Lungs-Alligator Creek then on to Flamingo via outside on map below..
    About twenty miles and takes all day.
    You'll have to hitch a ride back to West Lake if you leave your car there...

10%252520-%252520Flamingo%252520Area%252520Trail%252520Map_thumb%25255B2%25255D.jpg
    It starts in fresh water at launch site and of course the bay is salt water

The day i went the most spectacular part came after the mangrove trails, from where you exit Alligator Creek to Flamingo, paddling through flocks of wading birds and schools of redfish. Watched Ospreys catching fish and Eagles dive-bombing them trying to steal their catch...... A "National Geographic day".
    But don't even think about it in warm months for the mosquitoes cannot be described. Go late December-early March.

Alligator Creek is aptly named. We got a good scare from a crocodile bigger than the canoe.

21. Mar 17, 2015 #20

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now would be the time to go.

alaska_strip.jpg

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook