Will the Bug Ever Reach the End of the Stretching Rubber Band?
- Thread starter Nathanael
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Band Bug Rubber Rubber band
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
53 replies · 8K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 15,536
- 1,917
Nathanael said:I would have never thought to simplify the problem in such a way! That is quite clever!
(Is this what orodruin was hinting at in post #3?)
Looking at that post again, Orodruin's hint was very much more clever: Write equation for the ratio of the lengths: y= x/(L+vt) where L is the initial length of the rope. You get a very simple differential equation.
But it is not bad that you have understood how to solve a linear first-order differential equation.
ehild
Homework Helper
- 1,650
- 246
ehild said:Substitute f into the remaining part of the equation:
[itex]fg'+Q(t)=0[/itex]: [itex]g'=-Q(t)/f=0[/itex]
Integrate, but add the integration constant now. Substitute back into y=fg.
So:
[itex]g=\frac{a}{b}ln(bt+1)+C[/itex]
And:
[itex]y=(bt+1)(\frac{a}{b}ln(bt+1)+C)[/itex]
From the initial condition we see that C=0
Replacing a, b, and y, with their respective definitions (and multiplying by L) I get:
[itex]x=(vt+L)(\frac{u}{v}ln(\frac{vt}{L}+1))=L+vt[/itex]
Which yields:
[itex]t=e^{100000}-1[/itex]
Which is the correct answer[Edit: much easier when I'm not tired hehe
Last edited:
Homework Helper
- 1,650
- 246
It's amazing how you guys have such an intuitive grasp of differential equations. It is very impressive to me, I don't understand it at all.ehild said:Looking at that post again, Orodruin's hint was very much more clever: Write equation for the ratio of the lengths: y= x/(L+vt) where L is the initial length of the rope. You get a very simple differential equation.
I would hardly say I've understood it! I would have never done that in a million years! I only "understood" because you were nice enough to walk me through it like a babyehild said:But it is not bad that you have understood how to solve a linear first-order differential equation.
![]()
I have one more question(s) about this method:
ehild said:I usually solve first order linear differential equations y'+P(t)y+Q(t) =0 by a method I learned when I was a student.
I assume that y is a product of two functions y=fg. y'=f'g+fg' . Substituting back,
f'g+fg'+P(t)fg+Q(t)=0. I have the liberty to choose f and g so f'g+P(t)fg=0, that is f'+P(t)f=0.
Does this always work? (For first order linear DE's)
If not then how often does it work?
Are you always supposed to do f'g+P(t)fg=0?
Is that the 'trick' that makes it useful?
(Or do you have to be clever about it?)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 15,536
- 1,917
Nathanael said:I have one more question(s) about this method:
Does this always work? (For first order linear DE's)
If not then how often does it work?
This method always works for linear first order differential equations, just like the integrating factor method.
Nathanael said:Are you always supposed to do f'g+P(t)fg=0?
Is that the 'trick' that makes it useful?
That belongs to the method. As you wrote, '"it is the trick" of the method.
Now what about Orodruin's hint? What differential equation do you get for y=x/(L+vt)?
ehild
Homework Helper
- 1,650
- 246
ehild said:Now what about Orodruin's hint? What differential equation do you get for y=x/(L+vt)?
ehild
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\dot x}{L+vt}-\frac{xv}{(L+vt)^2}[/itex]
(With initial value y=0 when t=0)
Which could be written as:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\dot x-yv}{L+vt}[/itex]
(I got stuck here for a few minutes but then thought of this
Maybe I should plug in [itex]\dot x=u+vy[/itex] and then I get:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{u}{L+vt}[/itex]
[itex]\int dy=\int \frac{u}{L+vt}dt=\frac{u}{v}ln(L+vt)+C=y[/itex]
From our initial condition we see that C=0
Now we just set [itex]y=1[/itex] and solve for [itex]t[/itex]!
[itex]ln(1+t)=100000[/itex]
[itex]t=e^{100000}-1[/itex]
Homework Helper
- 1,650
- 246
ehild said:Is not Maths fun?![]()
Very fun! But not as fun as physics!
It feels much better when someone doesn't have to walk you through every single step
(even though I would've never done it without orodruin's hint!)
- 22,832
- 14,880
ehild said:Looking at that post again, Orodruin's hint was very much more clever: Write equation for the ratio of the lengths: y= x/(L+vt) where L is the initial length of the rope. You get a very simple differential equation.
Nathanael said:It's amazing how you guys have such an intuitive grasp of differential equations. It is very impressive to me, I don't understand it at all.
I would call it occupational injury.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 15,536
- 1,917
Nathanael said:Very fun! But not as fun as physics!
I have no idea why I suddenly understood how to do it that way. All you did was say "now what about orodruin's hint"
It feels much better when someone doesn't have to walk you through every single step
(even though I would've never done it without orodruin's hint!)
Look at the previous post, I edited it.
Sometimes you need to be guided, but next time you will figure it out by yourself. If you practice enough, your brain will find connections among things you have learnt, and suddenly something new occurs to you that you never heard or read before : You discover something.
Yes, Physics is connected to the world we live in and it is fun when the things work in the way as it is predicted by Physics. But Physics is nothing without Maths.
You set up a model, do the Maths and predict the outcome of an experiment. It was always a great surprise and also a great pleasure for me when my measurement results agreed with theory.
ehild
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 15,536
- 1,917
Orodruin said:I would call it occupational injury.This problem is very reminiscent of an expanding Universe (for the bug it probably is an expanding universe). In cosmology, ##y = \frac{x}{L+vt} \equiv \frac{x}{a(t)}##, where ##a(t)## is the scale factor, is called the comoving distance. Don't worry, understanding will come with learning experience. I have been known to give students similar problems on relativity exams ...
![]()
Bug in an expanding Universe ... Amazing! Never would have occurred to me, but I never taught Relativity Theory.
ehild
Homework Helper
- 1,650
- 246
Orodruin said:I would call it occupational injury.This problem is very reminiscent of an expanding Universe (for the bug it probably is an expanding universe). In cosmology, ##y = \frac{x}{L+vt} \equiv \frac{x}{a(t)}##, where ##a(t)## is the scale factor, is called the comoving distance. Don't worry, understanding will come with learning experience. I have been known to give students similar problems on relativity exams ...
![]()
I wish to give you both more thanks, but, apparently, I've given too many in the past 24 hours (I've only given like 5
That works too. Both ways are goodehild said:Look at the previous post, I edited it.
ehild said:Yes, Physics is connected to the world we live in and it is fun when the things work in the way as it is predicted by Physics. But Physics is nothing without Maths.
I've always liked math, long before I knew what physics was, but the main thing I enjoyed was word problems! I think that is why I enjoy physics; it's essentially mathematical word problems
To me, the fun part of math is figuring out how to figure it out, and that's why I find physics much more fun. Physics, to me, is all the fun parts of math without the boring parts! (Maybe one day I'll develop more of a liking for pure math.)
ehild said:It was always a great surprise and also a great pleasure for me when my measurement results agreed with theory.
I bet!
Thanks for helping me out ehild, you're awesome
Edit:
Orodruin said:I have been known to give students similar problems on relativity exams ...![]()
ehild said:but I never taught Relativity Theory.![]()
So you both are or have been teachers? (Or professors, sorry if it's rude to say teacher
I think I might want to be a teacher when I'm older (if I have what it takes) that would be a fun job!
- 22,832
- 14,880
ehild said:Yes, Physics is connected to the world we live in and it is fun when the things work in the way as it is predicted by Physics. But Physics is nothing without Maths.
You know, Feynman put it the other way around in slightly other words ...
Also, while on the subject:
Last edited by a moderator:
- 22,832
- 14,880
ehild said:May I ask, what he said? Somehow I am not fond of Feynman, so I am not familiar with his sayings.
ehild
Something to the effect of "Physics is to mathematics what sex is to masturbation" if I don't misremember.
But it is good that everyone has different preferences or physics jobs would be even scarcer than they are now ...
Satvik Pandey
- 591
- 12
Thank you ehild,Orodruin,Nathanael I got the answers too.
Thank you very much Nathanael for posting this question.
Thank you very much Nathanael for posting this question.
Satvik Pandey
- 591
- 12
Suppose if the bug would have started walking from the end of the rubber band which is in our hand to end which is attached to wall? Will it reach the other end of the rubber band?
Assuming that other conditions of question remains same.
Assuming that other conditions of question remains same.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Satvik Pandey said:Suppose if the bug would have started walking from the end of the rubber band which is in our hand to end which is attached to wall? Will it reach the other end of the rubber band?
Assuming that other conditions of question remains same.
What are your thoughts?
Satvik Pandey
- 591
- 12
Orodruin said:What are your thoughts?
I think that bug will reach the other end of the band.
I think relative velocity of bug w.r.t Earth at any point ##x## (measured from the wall)
is ##u-\frac { xv }{ L+vt }##.
- 15,524
- 771
Excellent! This is what I wanted you to do way back in post #7. It's such a simple result that it's hard to give a hint (other than try it, it's easy!) that doesn't tell the answer.Nathanael said:[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\dot x}{L+vt}-\frac{xv}{(L+vt)^2}[/itex]
(With initial value y=0 when t=0)
Which could be written as:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{\dot x-yv}{L+vt}[/itex]
(I got stuck here for a few minutes but then thought of this)
Maybe I should plug in [itex]\dot x=u+vy[/itex] and then I get:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{u}{L+vt}[/itex]
Similar threads
- inter060708
- · Replies 9 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 9
- Office_Shredder
- · Replies 3 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 3
- Office_Shredder
- · Replies 29 ·
- Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics
- Replies
- 29
- koosh
- · Replies 32 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 32
- lycraa
- · Replies 12 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 12
- fluidistic
- · Replies 4 ·
- Advanced Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 4
- gabee
- · Replies 2 ·
- Calculus and Beyond Homework Help
- Replies
- 2
