Build a Square Spiral Scissor Lift for VEX Worlds

  • Thread starter Thread starter baceball7666
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lift Spiral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
baceball7666
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I am building a robot for the VEX worlds competition and, I was thinking of a spiral scissor lift. But my problem is I only have two mothers to use on this part of the robot. The robot has a square base, so the spiral has to be square. If you could give your theories of how it would work, that would be great.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.
A scissor lift becomes narrower in one dimension as it gets higher. To do that in a spiral would require a cylinder that reduces diameter as it increases in height. That is not good for stability. What is a mother?
Is this anything like your concept; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperboloid_structure
It would be good if you could link to a picture similar to what you have in mind.
 
image.jpg

This is the robots base if this helps.