Seeking a type of linear actuator, which may or may not exist

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a linear actuator with a hard stop and adjustable length for a walking robot design. The speaker is unable to find such an actuator and may have to design one with a separate brake component. They are directed to search for "linear actuator with brake" for available options.
some bloke
TL;DR Summary
I'm looking to find a linear actuator which moves quickly and can move a moderately low load (say, 10kg) but which also features an adjusting hard-stop which can withstand significantly heavier.
As the brief summary explains, I'm looking for a linear actuator which moves quickly and can move a moderately low load (say, 10kg) but which also features an adjusting hard-stop which can withstand significantly heavier. So effectively, the actuator can move in and out, preferably quickly, but has a hard stop which can take a high load but not move it - effectively converting the linear actuator into a solid strut of fixed length. However, the length it is fixed at needs to be able to change between loads, by way of a second actuation. effectively, the second actuation needs to adjust in length until it takes a load, at which point it has to lock in place until the load is taken off.

Does such a thing exist? The application is for a walking robot I am designing (purely for the exercise of it) where I want the legs to be able to carry the robot, and adjust to terrain underneath pre-emptively, but not have to have every actuator be a large, heavy and expensive one which can lift the robot with its actuation - I only want the actuators to be able to lift the feet, then allow them to compress to a varying fixed stop as the weight of the robot goes onto them.

If it doesn't exist, I'm thinking I will have to design them myself. I'm thinking I will need a floating carrier which will be moved by two independent pieces - one will be a fast moving light actuator, and the other a slower moving hard stop which will prevent the carrier from continuing its path even if the light actuator has moved beyond it.

Thanks for any direction you can give! I've tried and failed to find such an actuator!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe you need two components, one is the linear actuator, the other is a brake that locks the actuator when the actuator is not powered. They are available combined.
Google 'linear actuator with brake'

1. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a type of mechanical device that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It is commonly used in various industrial, automotive, and consumer applications to move or control objects in a straight line.

2. How does a linear actuator work?

A linear actuator typically consists of a motor, a lead screw, and a nut. When the motor rotates, it turns the lead screw, which in turn moves the nut along the screw. This movement creates linear motion, which can be used to extend or retract the actuator's shaft.

3. What are the different types of linear actuators?

There are several types of linear actuators, including electric, pneumatic, hydraulic, and mechanical. Electric linear actuators use an electric motor to drive the motion, while pneumatic and hydraulic actuators use compressed air or fluid. Mechanical actuators, on the other hand, use gears, pulleys, or other mechanical components to convert rotational motion into linear motion.

4. Is there a specific type of linear actuator that can meet my specific needs?

It depends on your specific requirements and the application in which the actuator will be used. Each type of linear actuator has its own advantages and limitations, so it is important to carefully consider your needs before selecting the most suitable type.

5. Can I customize a linear actuator to fit my specific application?

Yes, many manufacturers offer customized linear actuators to meet specific requirements. You can choose the type, size, stroke length, and other features to ensure that the actuator fits your application perfectly. However, this may come at a higher cost and longer lead time compared to off-the-shelf options.