Build your own little sailboat and sail

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary: That's why I had the foresight to be born in 20th-century Canada.Anyway, the engineering here is pretty humdrum. All of our engineering is industrial masses (mining, oil routing, civil engineering). Not a lot of creativity or curiosity about nature involved. That's why I had the foresight to be born in 20th-century Canada. In summary, these plans are easy to follow and the finished product looks like it will be a lot of fun to sail.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
pdracer.com

Three sheets of plywood and a couple sticks of lumber. Some titebond II, a tarp, and you have a sail boat.

From personal experience I can tell you that these things sail upwind great, even in very little wind (as long as you sit back on the rocker and know how to sail upwind, where the physics are more like airplane wings than parachute scoops).

The directions on the site are horridly arranged, bilut if anyone interested, I'll guide you through it.

We need more people to build and register pdracers!

Physics news on Phys.org
And I can tell you from personal experience that it will sail in whatever direction I am facing (provided that there was no shortage of salsa at lunch).

That's just disgusting, Zoob.
If you're on the thing long enough to sleep, you're on it long enough to need a ****. Where's the plumbing?

over the side, of course!

some have been known to carry a bucket

Now I'm even more disgusted.

I kind of want to build one of these, but I know that none of my friends would.

Danger said:
Now I'm even more disgusted.

You wouldn't have made it as a Viking.

zoobyshoe said:
You wouldn't have made it as a Viking.

That's why I had the foresight to be born in 20th-century Canada.

Danger said:
That's why I had the foresight to be born in 20th-century Canada.
Very circumspect of you.

I think the ugly little 8 foot boat with its sloop rigged pretentions to being a yacht is hilarious.

she's ready to sail, tomorrow morning she shoves off!

I used shorty's simple 18" plans at pdracer.com

Attachments

• 269814_10150247416114172_547654171_7177229_5631738_n.jpg
    269814_10150247416114172_547654171_7177229_5631738_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 241
Pythagorean said:

Awesome! Did you use a tarp for the sail, as per specs?

Pythagorean said:
pdracer.com

Three sheets of plywood and a couple sticks of lumber. Some titebond II, a tarp, and you have a sail boat.

From personal experience I can tell you that these things sail upwind great, even in very little wind (as long as you sit back on the rocker and know how to sail upwind, where the physics are more like airplane wings than parachute scoops).

The directions on the site are horridly arranged, bilut if anyone interested, I'll guide you through it.

We need more people to build and register pdracers!

Pythagorean said:

Are you sure you're not an engineer? :biggrin: I love seeing a project coming to completion. Good luck on it's initial voyage.

She holds water and sails upwind (after several tacks)

@zooby: yeah, I ordered a lightweight orange tarp online (couldn't find any locally). Had to be orange! And I use gorilla tape instead of duck tape. mixture of sawdust and glue to coat the plywood edges and cracks. And that's more than you asked for.

@digoff: I wanted to be an engineer at one point. But then I was bored to death by the engineering classes after getting a physics degree. And the engineering teachers weren't really interested in the kinds of questions I asked like my scientist profs were. So I went back to science :). The school here is not very interdisciplinary, I've had to do a lot of work to integrate physics and biology (which should be a know-brainer, right?).

Anyway, the engineering here is pretty humdrum. All of our engineering is industrial masses (mining, oil routing, civil engineering). Not a lot of creativity or curiosity about nature involved.

Attachments

• 268793_10150248501034172_547654171_7189971_1147846_n.jpg
    268793_10150248501034172_547654171_7189971_1147846_n.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 463

Related to Build your own little sailboat and sail

1. What materials do I need to build my own little sailboat?

To build a sailboat, you will need a variety of materials including wooden planks, nails, screws, a saw, sandpaper, paint, a sail, and rope. You can also purchase a sailboat building kit that includes all the necessary materials.

2. How long does it take to build a sailboat?

The time it takes to build a sailboat can vary depending on your level of experience and the complexity of the boat design. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months to build a small sailboat.

3. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to build a sailboat?

While it may be helpful to have some basic woodworking skills, anyone can learn how to build a sailboat with the proper instructions and materials. There are also many resources available online and in books to guide you through the process.

4. Can I customize the design of my sailboat?

Absolutely! Building your own sailboat allows for a lot of flexibility and creativity in the design process. You can choose the size, shape, and features of your sailboat to fit your needs and preferences.

5. Is it safe to sail in a homemade sailboat?

If the sailboat is built properly and with quality materials, it can be just as safe as a professionally made sailboat. However, it is important to always follow safety guidelines and check the weather conditions before setting sail.

Back