1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Building a dog house on the side of a shed.

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    First post here, although I could eyeball this project I have been stumped as to how it would be calculated. I haven't been in a geometry class for nearly a decade so this really brought to light how much I have forgot. I need to find how tall a board would be cut if it descends at a certain slope for x amount of feet assuming the ground is level. I drew a diagram, basically I need to know how to solve for x, but I would like to know how it is done. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION IN MY DIAGRAM THAT THE ROOF PIECE THAT IS SLOPING IS 4 FT LONG, I IMAGINE THAT IS IMPORTANT.

shed.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So then, your board is sloping, at a 15 degree angle, from 3 feet to x feet? Drawing a perpendicular from the end of the "roof" to the wall gives a right triangle with angle 15 degrees and "opposite side" 3- x feet. You want to find the length of the hypotenuse of that triangle. Since sin(a) is defined as "opposite side divided by hypotenuse", hypotenuse equals opposite side divided by sin(a): the length is (3-x)/sin(15).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook