Building a dog house on the side of a shed.

• Thread starter Zombie Acorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, the person is seeking help in calculating the height of a board that is cut at a certain slope for a given distance, assuming the ground is level. They drew a diagram and need to solve for x, but would like to know the process. They later mention that the slope is at a 15 degree angle and the roof piece is 4 feet long. The solution involves finding the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle using the formula (3-x)/sin(15).
Zombie Acorn
First post here, although I could eyeball this project I have been stumped as to how it would be calculated. I haven't been in a geometry class for nearly a decade so this really brought to light how much I have forgot. I need to find how tall a board would be cut if it descends at a certain slope for x amount of feet assuming the ground is level. I drew a diagram, basically I need to know how to solve for x, but I would like to know how it is done. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION IN MY DIAGRAM THAT THE ROOF PIECE THAT IS SLOPING IS 4 FT LONG, I IMAGINE THAT IS IMPORTANT.

shed.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So then, your board is sloping, at a 15 degree angle, from 3 feet to x feet? Drawing a perpendicular from the end of the "roof" to the wall gives a right triangle with angle 15 degrees and "opposite side" 3- x feet. You want to find the length of the hypotenuse of that triangle. Since sin(a) is defined as "opposite side divided by hypotenuse", hypotenuse equals opposite side divided by sin(a): the length is (3-x)/sin(15).

1. How do I choose the location for building a dog house on the side of a shed?

The location should be flat and level, with good drainage. It should also have enough space for the dog to move around comfortably and be protected from harsh weather conditions.

2. What materials should I use for building a dog house on the side of a shed?

The materials should be sturdy and weather-resistant. Wood is a popular choice, but you can also use plastic or metal. Make sure to use non-toxic materials to ensure the safety of your dog.

3. How big should the dog house be?

The size of the dog house will depend on the size of your dog. It should be large enough for your dog to stand, turn around, and lie down comfortably. Measure your dog's length and add a few inches for extra space.

4. Do I need to insulate the dog house?

If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, it is recommended to insulate the dog house. This will help keep your dog warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Insulation can also help reduce noise from outside.

5. How do I maintain the dog house on the side of a shed?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure the longevity of the dog house. Check for any damages or wear and tear, and repair or replace as needed. Clean the dog house regularly to prevent the buildup of dirt and bacteria.