Building an Electric Motorcycle from Scratch

In summary: I won't try them on you.In summary, Tom is a freshman in college and does not know how to accurately calculate any of the necessary information to build an electric motorcycle. He needs help from someone more experienced.
lordlego613
TL;DR Summary
I want to make an electric motorcycle, but I know nothing about motors or weight or literally anything needed to make an electric motorcycle.
Basically what I need is to figure out what motors I need for a design I am wanting to make for an electric motorcycle. I know that I want it to go around 60-70 mph, 60 could be the max speed if need be, for the motors to be able to move 700 lbs (which is crazy but my idea is crazy so I need it to work). I also need the rpm to find the motors, and what kind of voltage and wattage is needed. That's the first step and probably the most painful step, but I don't know how to accurately calculate any of this because I am a freshman in college, have not even touched the surface, and I don't know anything, so I need help XD.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Uhmm... Suggest you wait until at least the late part of your second year in Mechanical Engineering.

Some of the areas you will need to address:
basic physics (to address acceleration, center of gravity)
mechanics
strength of materials
general machine shop
basic aerodynamics
maybe hydraulics (for the brakes)
battery charging systems
variable speed control of motors
how to address dynamic stability (2-wheel vehicles have the front wheel ahead of the steering axis. How much? Why?)
welding (better be certified if you will be welding the frame)

If you expect to ride this on the public streets, you will probably need it at least inspected by the issuing authority before it can be registered.

Sorry :cry:,
Tom

Likes Bystander, Rive, Lnewqban and 1 other person
This is a serious project and you will need more experience and training before attempting it.

Take some advice from the late Grant Imahara when he talked about building a giant spider robot that almost crushed him while he was working on it alone.

https://makezine.com/article/craft/imahara/

and more on Grant, one of the great Imagineers we lost at too young an age in 2020:

https://www.grunge.com/161254/the-untold-truth-of-grant-imahara-from-mythbusters/

Likes berkeman, russ_watters, Rive and 1 other person
Welcome to PF.

lordlego613 said:
Building an Electric Motorcycle from Scratch
If you need an electric motorcycle now, buy one now and modify it to do the job.
Life is not long enough to build it from scratch.

lordlego613 said:
I know that I want it to go around 60-70 mph, 60 could be the max speed if need be
Sorry, but by your introduction here you are not close enough to the required knowledge level to even consider the safety implications.

This project of yours is as good as dead for the foreseeable future - just forget it before it takes you with it.

Ps.: my suggestion is an electric boosted bicycle. A slow one. That may work.

Likes russ_watters
lordlego613 said:
I also need the rpm to find the motors
If you cannot figure this out, this project is way over your head.

Likes russ_watters
Perhaps start with a Bike conversion kit - but an older buy OK quality MTB, disk brakes - and then a well rated conversion kit. You will learn alot.

Does your school have an FSAE team - they are pretty much all going electric now and there you will be solving the same types of problems.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, Rive, berkeman and 1 other person
We realize you are fixated on this goal but don't this overshadow the dangers of building, riding and testing this contraption.

Simon Cowell was gifted an electric motorcycle, didn't read the instructions, took off like a shot and seriously broke his back.

As others have said, take the courses learn how to apply what you learn before you get into a project like this.

With that said, I think its time to close this thread. This activity is dangerous and we let the discussion continue.

Thanks to everyone who contributed here.

Jedi

Likes dlgoff, russ_watters and anorlunda

1. How difficult is it to build an electric motorcycle from scratch?

Building an electric motorcycle from scratch can be a challenging and time-consuming process. It requires a good understanding of electrical and mechanical engineering principles, as well as access to specialized tools and materials. However, with proper planning and research, it is possible for someone with basic technical skills to successfully build an electric motorcycle.

2. What are the main components needed to build an electric motorcycle?

The main components needed to build an electric motorcycle include a motor, battery, controller, throttle, and charger. Other components such as a frame, wheels, brakes, and suspension may also be required depending on the design of the motorcycle. It is important to carefully select high-quality components to ensure the safety and performance of the electric motorcycle.

3. How much does it cost to build an electric motorcycle from scratch?

The cost of building an electric motorcycle from scratch can vary greatly depending on the quality of components and materials used, as well as any additional tools or equipment needed. On average, it can cost anywhere from $3,000 to $10,000. However, this cost can be significantly reduced by using salvaged or second-hand parts and sourcing materials from alternative suppliers.

4. Are there any legal requirements for building and riding an electric motorcycle?

The legal requirements for building and riding an electric motorcycle may vary depending on your location. In most places, you will need to register and obtain a license for your electric motorcycle, just like a traditional gasoline-powered motorcycle. Additionally, there may be regulations regarding the maximum speed and power of the electric motorcycle, as well as safety requirements for the rider.

5. Can I convert an existing gasoline-powered motorcycle into an electric one?

Yes, it is possible to convert an existing gasoline-powered motorcycle into an electric one. However, this process can be more complicated and may require more technical knowledge and skills. It is important to carefully research and plan the conversion process, as well as consult with a professional to ensure the safety and legality of the converted electric motorcycle.