Buoyant force equation and water displacement for a cardboard boat

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
aznboi986
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I need to calculate the buoyant force of a cardboard boat and the buoyant force exerted by the water. What is the equation to do this?

Also, I need to the volume of water the boat displaces. (Density of water is 1000 kg/m^3).

And last but not least, I need to determine the water level on the boat.

If anyone could help me out with the equations, that'd be great. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you didn't state the problem in sufficient detail to get an answer, nor did you show what you've done so far, all I can offer are some generalities:
(1) Archimede's principle tells us that the buoyant force on a submerged object equals the weight of the displaced fluid (in this case water).
(2) If the boat is floating, then it must be in equilibrium: the vertical forces must balance. (What forces act on the boat?)​
 
Sorry. We had to do a project, and make a boat out of cardboard and tape, and 2 people had to get in and paddle across a pool. Now for my lab writeup, I have to answer 3 problems, but we did bouyancy so long ago, I forgot/lost my bouyanct equations (my bad, should have saved them).

1st question. Calculate the buoyant force exerted by the water on the boat for the following conditions 1) empty boat. 2) boat with occupants in

2nd question. FOr each of the aboce conditions in calculation 1, calculate the volume of water that the boat must displace. Use a density of water of 1000 kg/m^3

3rd question. For each of the above conditions and using your plans for your boat design, determine the water level on your boat.

All I need are the equations and I can plug in the numbers. Thanks.
 
I wonder what data you recorded.
aznboi986 said:
1st question. Calculate the buoyant force exerted by the water on the boat for the following conditions 1) empty boat. 2) boat with occupants in
Assuming you measured the weight of the boat + occupants, use point #2 in my last post to answer this one.

2nd question. FOr each of the aboce conditions in calculation 1, calculate the volume of water that the boat must displace. Use a density of water of 1000 kg/m^3
For this one, consider point #1 in my last post. Also make use of the definition of density: D = mass/volume.

3rd question. For each of the above conditions and using your plans for your boat design, determine the water level on your boat.
The volume of water displaced combined with the geometry of your boat should allow you to answer this one.
 
I appreciate your help, but I need the equations...badly...please
 
Nevermind, I found the equations. Thanks though.