Buoyant force on a floating 0.5 kg wood block

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
onrytxn
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 0.5 kg block of wood is floating in water. What is the magnitude of the buoyant force acting on the block.

Homework Equations



:confused: :confused: :confused:

B=Buoyant force: W=weight; fl=fluid; m=mass; V=volume; DEN=density;

There are a couple of equations that our professor gave us, but I am totally confused how to use them.

B=Wfl & Wfl=Wm & Vm>Vfl & DENflVfl=DENmVm


The Attempt at a Solution



I have figured weight of the mass--W=mg, which is 4.9N

Looking at the first two equations, I would lean toward the thought that 4.9N is the answer, but that seems too easy. Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be, or I am truly as confused as I feel?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes questions are easy. You are correct - after all the block is floating.