Hand burning from chili pepper oil – how to stop the pain?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolram
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    hand
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
24 replies · 3K views
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Messages
4,411
Reaction score
552
I forgot i had been touching chili, and now every thing feels like it has been
dipped in acid, i have had a shower and washed every thing in milk, but it
still hurts like the devil, any cures PLEASE.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Been there. It is kinda brutal.

Wait a few days, it'll go away.
Don't rub your eyes.

Don't know of an antidoe for capacian.
It's not acid, but a protein that activates some cell receptors.
Didn't seem to do any actual damage.
Sure felt that way though
 
NoTime said:
Been there. It is kinda brutal.

Wait a few days, it'll go away.
Don't rub your eyes.

Don't know of an antidoe for capacian.
It's not acid, but a protein that activates some cell receptors.
Didn't seem to do any actual damage.
Sure felt that way though

i all ready did wipe my eyes i am not a baby but this hurts, and i have to go work at 10.
 
Well, I eat stuff like that all the time. :biggrin:

I have noticed that if I eat salty chip (corn chips or potato chips) the hot feeling dissipates. Eating yogurt helps, so if its bothering certain external parts, put yogurt on it and then wash it off.

Otherise, the oil gets absorbed in the skin/tissue and one just has to deal with the pain for an hour or so.

You really shouldn't get that near the eyes or sensitive membranes.
 
wolram said:
this hurts
You won't get an argument from me.
 
Astronuc said:
Well, I eat stuff like that all the time. :biggrin:

I have noticed that if I eat salty chip (corn chips or potato chips) the hot feeling dissipates. Eating yogurt helps, so if its bothering certain external parts, put yogurt on it and then wash it off.

Otherise, the oil gets absorbed in the skin/tissue and one just has to deal with the pain for an hour or so.

You really shouldn't get that near the eyes or sensitive membranes.
Yes i know but i just forgoted, i don't have any yogutr or lemon juice and i
cant even put my jeans on so i can't get any
 
Astronuc said:
Otherise, the oil gets absorbed in the skin/tissue and one just has to deal with the pain for an hour or so.
Don't know abput that hour business.
I was stringing halepenos to dry for 4 or 5 hours, before I started to notice it.
Took another couple hours to really kick in.
Felt like I put my hand on the stove.
 
NoTime said:
Don't know abput that hour business.
I was stringing halepenos to dry for 4 or 5 hours, before I started to notice it.
Took another couple hours to really kick in.
Felt like I put my hand on the stove.

oh i am dieing and you talk about you hannds, whay about my bits .
 
Just what were you doing with those peppers.
Wait, I don't think I want to know.
 
NoTime said:
Just what were you doing with those peppers.
Wait, I don't think I want to know.

OL iam almpst blid and ne thing huyrts like heck abd you jest .
 
wolram said:
oh i am dieing and you talk about you hannds, whay about my bits .
:smile: Don't touch your bits. :biggrin:

Try salt water - I guess - perhaps vinegar. Or cooking oil. You might even try oil and vinegar. The point is that you need to dissolve the capsicin oil. Maybe an alcoholic beverage might work.

NoTime said:
Don't know abput that hour business.
I've been eating extremely hot peppers and hot sauces for years, so likely I have developed a tolerance for capsicum or rather 'capsaicin' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

http://www.fiery-foods.com/Dave/capsaicin.asp
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
I've been eating extremely hot peppers and hot sauces for years, so likely I have developed a tolerance for capsicum or rather 'capsaicin' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

http://www.fiery-foods.com/Dave/capsaicin.asp
Rather fond of the stuff myself and have a fairly good tolerance.

It did take a long time to dissipate, overnight for the worst of it.
And still pretty sensitive for a day or two.
Not like eating it at all.

Come to think of it, I was a lot younger then so the incident might have contributed to the current tolerance.
Don't think I'm going to be testing that theory though:smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
OL iam almpst blid and ne thing huyrts like heck abd you jest .
Humor is good for antidote for pain:wink:

I sympathize, really, I know where you're at.
 
Astronuc said:
:smile: Don't touch your bits. :biggrin:

Try salt water - I guess - perhaps vinegar. Or cooking oil. You might even try oil and vinegar. The point is that you need to dissolve the capsicin oil. Maybe an alcoholic beverage might work.

I've been eating extremely hot peppers and hot sauces for years, so likely I have developed a tolerance for capsicum or rather 'capsaicin' - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

http://www.fiery-foods.com/Dave/capsaicin.asp

A big thanks Astro, i filled a pyrex bowl with oil and vinegar and soaked a
flannel with it for my face, it is working, if you want a favour i owe you one
:biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Any one have a tip as to how to get an oil and vinegar stain out of a carpet?
 
Here's a tip, next time you cut or handle chillies, rub some olive oil into your fingers first. It acts as a barrier and reduces the amount of chilli absorbed by the skin. Or use a commercial hand-cream/barrier-cream (or is that only for motor mechanics lol).
 
3trQN said:
Here's a tip, next time you cut or handle chillies, rub some olive oil into your fingers first. It acts as a barrier and reduces the amount of chilli absorbed by the skin. Or use a commercial hand-cream/barrier-cream (or is that only for motor mechanics lol).

I will be VERY carefull next time i touch chilis :blushing: talk about elephantitis.
 
wolram said:
A big thanks Astro, i filled a pyrex bowl with oil and vinegar and soaked a flannel with it for my face, it is working, if you want a favour i owe you one :biggrin:
I'm pleased that it worked. Your friendship is sufficient reward. :smile:

Any one have a tip as to how to get an oil and vinegar stain out of a carpet?
Why am I reminded of tribdog? :smile: You perhaps should have done that in the kitchen or bathroom, or outside, where there is not carpet.

Ostensibly carpet shampoo, but if colour is changed, I am afraid there might not be much one can do.

IIRC, a good carpet freshener is sodium borate (borax). I'll have to check on this.
 
wolram said:
this hurts

Amen. A couple of weeks ago I was making a curry. Cut up my chillies, then was cutting an onion. Slipped with the knife and went straight through the onion and into my thumb. That hurt so much I was expecting to look down and see the end of my thumb missing (it was still a nasty cut, but everything remained attached.)
 
Sorry about the burning, Woolie. You need to take some precautions when handling the hotter peppers, although I don't feel the burn as much as I used to...

My wife and I make our hot foods from our home-made chili sauces. We used to use jalapenos, but we graduated to habaneros and will be trying to grow a bumper crop this year because those rascals are really expensive in the produce sections up her in Maine. Last year, my sister-in-law gave me a nice big habanero plant that she started from seed, and the deer ate almost all of the same night I put it in the garden. I bought a couple of sprinklers triggered by battery-powered motion detectors, and that stopped the deer raids, but I only got about a half-dozen habaneros off that plant.

Judging from the early-season raids last year, deer like peas, beans, carrots, etc, but they LOVE pepper plants, watercress and parsley.
 
Last edited:
Oh, Woolie, ow! Some of those hot peppers can be vicious! I hope all your bits have recovered. :eek: :bugeye: I think you need to wear some form of protection before handling hot peppers in the future. :biggrin:
 
Hi Turbo.
YUMMY, i love habaneros and scotch bonnet, the ones that did for me were
birds eyes, i buy them dried and they store for ages.

Moon B,
Not fully, my eyes cleared up quite quick thanks to Astros advice, my other part is like an unwanted visitor, i won't go home. i have bought
a box of throw away gloves now, no way am i going to make that mistake
again.
 
Astronuc said:
I'm pleased that it worked. Your friendship is sufficient reward. :smile:

Why am I reminded of tribdog? :smile: You perhaps should have done that in the kitchen or bathroom, or outside, where there is not carpet.

Ostensibly carpet shampoo, but if colour is changed, I am afraid there might not be much one can do.

IIRC, a good carpet freshener is sodium borate (borax). I'll have to check on this.

I remembered this (oxy) that mom uses for stains, it worked a treat, trouble
is i will have to do the whole carpet now to get it to match the cleaner bit
 
I have now spent more time thinking about Wolly's bits than I ever thought possible.
 
Last edited: